X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Problems

Hey all,

I've been having some problems with my wireless on kubuntu feisty. I have been using Wireless Assistant to connect, but my signal seems to drop pretty frequently (usually if I leave my computer on an hour or so), after which time it shows no networks available unless I restart my computer. However, as of yesterday, I can't get it to connect at all, despite the fact that Wireless Assistant shows the network. It tells me that it can't connect and asks if I want to review the settings, which all appear fine, as far as I can tell.

Our power went out yesterday, so I'm wondering if (somehow?) that had something to do with it. I went to use the internet on our (windows) wired computer and it was showing no signal. I used a windows repair wizard--initially, it said that it could not renew the IP address, but I rebooted it, reran the wizard, and was able to get online. Still not able to log on with my kubuntu computer. Is it something with my router settings? Could this, perhaps, have anything to do with the fact that I started downloading stuff off ktorrent a few days ago (maybe verizon dsl is somehow blocking me?)? As you can see, I'm at a loss. I'd really love to just get a consistent connection on this thing. I'd even give up torrent downloading for it, I swear!

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Wireless Problems

There's something rotten in Kubuntu wireless networking (refer to topic 3084149), because this sounds all too familiar. I'm guessing that something I've upgraded recently with Adept has thrown a major monkey wrench into the works.

I had lost wireless access completely, and I couldn't get the default gateway to stick when updating Network Settings. I was finally able to get access again by forcing my local IP address, not letting DHCP assign one.

Ever since, though, my Kubuntu PC is bringing the network to its knees, requiring numerous power recycles on the DSL modem/router. I can bring up KWiFiManager immediately after connecting and it shows the 54 Mbps speed. Thereafter, it just gradually starts dropping, will fluctuate a bit up and down, but eventually get down to less than 5.5 Mbps. At that point the graph turns orange and eventually the network grinds to a halt. Even my wife's WinXP PC gets knocked off.

My Kubuntu PC is a dual-boot, and to check it out, I rebooted into WinXP several hours ago and it's crunching away just fine - no network troubles.

Not a soul responded to my earlier thread. Does anyone have the slightest idea what's going on?
    Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Comment

Same thing is happening with me! I just got my wireless to work and then BAM, nothing at all.

Comment

I am having the same problem. I wanted to ^ this thread to see if there is an answer out there. Anyone?

-Emo

Comment

I was having simlar issues with wireless just dropping out for no reason. I found out it was due to incorrect driver for my wireless card.
          The restricted drivers that were installed werent for my card. I would find out the card you have and do a google on it, or check the forums for your card.
          Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

Ah wireless...one of the biggest problems with Linux!

I've posted on this many times here. Isn't it time for us to just admit that wireless is a major problem, and figure out what we need to do to fix it?

I want to see Linux become a real replacement for Windows, I really do. In my home, my desktop and laptop are Kubuntu-only. But if we hope to see mass migration from Windows to Linux, we need to solve wireless issues!

Does anyone know why it is such a difficult issue?

Comment

propiety drivers, thats the reason. the only way the open source comunity can get at these is by reverse engineering (at the moment) which isnt the best way.
              The only way we as linux user can change this is to bother the wireless card makers to release they're drivers to use (like what has been happening with graphics drivers)
              Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

OK, I see what you're saying. But what upsets me is that people are not simply facing this problem. If you do a search for ways to get wireless working, you'll see hundreds of instructions claiming to "solve" wireless issues, offering "easy" and "simple" solutions. I know this is true, because I spent days and days trying many of these "solutions." They just don't work!

We can't have it both ways. You can't say, on one hand, that the reason wireless doesn't work is because manufacturers aren't offering compatible devices, and on the other hand say there are "easy" solutions!

We should stop calling these "easy" and "simple." It's misleading. People like me spend too much precious time and energy on frustrating dead-ends. Let's stop sending people into complex sets of instructions that we know are not going to work. That drives people away from Linux. Instead, let's problem solve: how can we make reverse engineering projects happen? How can we, as a community, put pressure on manufacturers to make their products compatible?

Can we make a short list of wireless routers that work well in Linux? For example, I am using a D-Link DI-524 router. Trust me, it is an incompatible router!

This is similar to printer and scanner issues. HP products work well with Linux; Epson does not. Can we do the same thing for wireless routers?

In other words, let's just admit the problem and then, as a community, come up with the best actions.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                X