X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atheros a/b/g AR5212 stopped working in latest kernel

2.6.20-13-generic will not recognize my wireless card

Still booting in 2.6.20-12-generic and works okay.

Re: Atheros a/b/g AR5212 stopped working in latest kernel

Did you file a bug report?

I have the same chip on my wireless pci card.

Comment

I just updated my feisty beta to 2.6.20-13-generic and my atheros wifi is perfectly recognized. I have only connection problems because there's a mismatch between wireless tools version and wireless extension version (bug #91009).

Comment

There was a header file that was held back because the next day after booting into the older kernel, one file wanted to update, and it was a file relating to the new one I booted with the new one, and it worked fine. Thanks!

Comment

... so what header file needed updating? Sounds like the same problem I am having.

Comment

Not sure, as it was a week ago... perhaps do this--> Konsole
            sudo aptitude update

let it do that

sudo aptitude upgrade

let it do that... it might tell you something is being held back... I think I remember that happening.

you could use apt-get in place of aptitude, but I have never been a fan of its inability to solve dependency problems.

I then used Synaptic rather than adept. I find it less quirky than adept when it comes to solving things like this.

sudo aptitude install synaptic

run it: Use mark all upgrades, and then if the apply button is bright green, it means there is something to update. Go from there. If it tells you something is being held back, I am at a loss on how to fix it at this point.

if you have issues with a bobbing icon, then just type sudo synaptic in Konsole. I don't know why, but sometimes running things keeps things from running from the desktop that need root access. Go figure. It usually returns to normal in a few minutes, or if you reboot.

Anyway, when you are all done with that... sudo dpkg --configure -a

That just makes sure all things are configured properly. If you get a prompt right away with no message, all is good as far as your packages are configured properly. Reboot and see what happens. If not, keep using your old kernel and perhaps it will configure properly in the next upgraded one. Mine just ironed itself out on its own.

Peace,
            Brian

Comment

Well.. synaptic and adept are both frontends to apt-get and dpkg. Adept is Qt based so I prefer it in KDE, and synaptic would pull in quite a lot of dependencies...

Anyway..I found the best way to sort these situations out is to close updater and just update from a console with the following:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

Also, as maestrobwh1 said, sudo dpkg --configure -a can be usefull in case of mess with the updates.

Comment

Is it true though that if you apt-get a package, then if you want to clean out the package files, you have to use apt-get and not aptitude? I get confused, and I would appreciate some input. I use feisty and I found adept to be flakey with the update process and it would bail after the download. It seems more stable now with recent updates, but I became used to synaptic being able to clean up a mess that adept would leave behind.

I have found with the yesterday's update update that my atheros is not connecting automatically, but will if I click the little icon and the "little purple gear turns" after I click my network. Minor albeit a bit annoying. All of my settings are set correctly in "Network Settings"

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by maestrobwh1
                  Is it true though that if you apt-get a package, then if you want to clean out the package files, you have to use apt-get and not aptitude? I get confused, and I would appreciate some input.
                  Aptitude is just another front end to apt-get and can be used in place of adept/synaptic. I find it a bit complicated though and prefer using apt-get directly. Because aptitude is a frontend for apt-get, it just calls apt-get, so there really is no reason why you cannot use apt-get.
                  A major difference between aptitude and adept/synaptic is that aptitude makes use of ncurses UI, while Adept uses Qt and Synaptic uses GTK.

Comment

Working...
                  X