This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feisty Herd 2 -> 0 to done in 27 minutes

I've been struggling to get a Basic Linux install done on my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 with an E6400 C2D that recognizes all my basic HW and see's the built in sensors.

I used the Herd2 Alternate install CD and it went like a breeze it took 27 minutes including the time it took to install a fresh drive in my system.

Great Job guys!!

Re: Feisty Herd 2 -> 0 to done in 27 minutes

shadco your KSysguard display set up is very cool. I'm running Edgy, but I'm challenged to get the performance monitor to display like yours -- I don't get how to customize it. I have a dual core CPU -- is that a problem? How did you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      shadco your KSysguard display set up is very cool. I'm running Edgy, but I'm challenged to get the performance monitor to display like yours -- I don't get how to customize it. I have a dual core CPU -- is that a problem? How did you do that?
      You can right-click on the display items to edit how they are presented...and you can drag-and-drop additional display items from the treeview...it's all pretty customizable

Comment

Thank you kubicle --- yes, it is always amazing what I can learn by RTFM ....

But, I remain jealous of shadco's thermal monitors. I don't have a thermal sensor reading yet, although there are 2 or 3 on my motherboard which work under Windows. I guess that's another manual I need to read .... :P

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          I don't have a thermal sensor reading yet, although there are 2 or 3 on my motherboard which work under Windows.
          You could try checking 'libsensors3' and 'lm-sensors' are installed.
          Also try running 'sudo sensors-detect' (see 'man sensors' and 'man sensors-detect')

Comment

I can happily confirm, that sensors are also working on my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 motherboard with Feisty Fawn...

of course after installing lm-sensors, running sensors-detect, etc...

Comment

Yay -- got the rest of the sensors working. I installed libsensors3 and lm-sensors first, and ran the sensors-detect routine. Then I removed and reinstalled the KSystem Guard performance monitor, and upon reinstallation it picked up the new sensors, including the thermal and fan on the Nvidia 7900GS video board. My motherboard is an Intel D975XBX, with an x6800 dual core processor, so it's pretty nice to get the sensors for both cores onto the KSysguard monitor, plus the GPU and memory sensors. If I could figure out how to paste in the KSysguard screen shot here, I would do it. I put a shot of the desktop with that monitor running up on the Image Gallery, if anyone is interested in seeing it. If I wanted to, I think I could fill up an 8 x 8 worksheet with sensor outputs.

I've spent so much time getting everything working well on my Edgy system, I think I'm going to hold off on Feisty until the official release. Maybe buy a fast new SATA drive in May and give Feisty a shot then, if it looks promising.

Comment

Working...
              X