This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dialup installation

Started installation and got message: /etc/resolv.conf "missing or can't read--ask administrater to create, with appropriate read and write permissions. 1. Who is my administrater? 2. How do I contact him, since I am not on line? 3. What is "etc/resolv.conf"? Is it necessary to installation of a dialup connection? 4. Other suggestions to getting on line would be appreciated.

Re: dialup installation

1) If this is your desktop machine, you are your own administrator.
    2) Talk to yourself ;-P
    3) resolve.conf specifies dns servers. These are needed to convert names like kubuntuforums.net into ip adresses like 64.34.177.146. It's only important once you are online.
    Your ISP should be able to tell you what dns servers (often called 'nameservers') to use.
    4) Have you tried using the KDE configuration tool in SystemSettings?

Afraid I don't know too much about dialup. It's very possible your modem isn't supported under Linux, or will require a lot of fiddling to make work.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
    X