X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not appear to have an admin ID on my machine

Hello,

I have installed Kubuntu and have been using it for a while, downloading and installing packages etc. However I had noticed that my ID was not an administrator account. I went to logon as SU and it would not accept the password I would typically use for Linux admins.
    Looking at the users on the system, it appears my default logon user id is the only one!
    So does this mean a re-install?

Any help appreciated
    Thanks
    Joe

Re: I do not appear to have an admin ID on my machine

This is correct and normal. In *ubuntu, there is no SuperUser account as there are in many other Linux distros. Instead, the first user created (when the OS was installed) is able to assume sudo rights when required. When a GUI application requires root permissions, you are prompted for your password. When operating from the command line, and you need to execute a command that requires root permissions, you preface the command with sudo (or if launching a GUI from the command line, kdesu).

Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: I do not appear to have an admin ID on my machine

Ah yes I understand,

I have tried as you suggest and it is the case.

Within KDE I can be asked for the admin password and when I enter my ID password - all is well.

Thank you!!!

Comment

Working...
      X