This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why upgrade to gutsy?

ok.. I have got 7.04 on my machine.. it runs great after I get it all configured.. I have downloaded and installed 710 on my box, and I have found that I had more luck setting up 7.04 and getting it to work, than 7.10..

What is so special that I would need to change it? My computer is fast, stable, and loaded with goodies (videos, music, players, compiz fusion, emerald, etc..), and there is no problem with it at all..

every one says I should upgrade, but I havent heard any features that really attract me to it... can some show me a side-by-side compare of the 2 and their features?

One thing I heard is that it supports ntfs way better (when updated and running right) than feisty... is this true? all I do is general media stuff on my box.. I have a separate partition for playing games, so I dont need anything more than just a PC that can play my media and do what its doing now... so If upgrading doesnt really change much, then why do it?

Re: why upgrade to gutsy?

Personally, I haven't been very impressed with Gutsy and find the Hardy alpha much more stable, even though it's still in testing. With the release of Hardy only a few weeks away, and you being happy with your current installation, I'd suggest sticking with Feisty for a little while longer until you can upgrade to Hardy (the NTFS support is indeed much better than Feisty with both Gutsy and Hardy).
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

good.. its just a pin in the ass to get ntfs drives to work.. I had to teach myself how to edit the fstab file.. haha

Im totally not changing... I may wait a few months and try 8.04 when it comes out.. on a separate pc.. just to see the difference.. really, the only problem I have is ntfs support... other than that, i can do EVERYTHING that my windows machine can do perfectly (and better looking too), but on kubuntu..

Im to the point now, where I can install kubuntu, update it, install every driver and prog I need, and have it working in about 2 hours... (probably cause I am still learning..) Everything except ntfs support.. it seems as though I always have to end up editing the fstab file by hand, because anything gui related that is supposed to do it never works...

Comment

Would you like some help configuring your system to work with NTFS partitions?
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

o.. no thanks.. I already figured that one out... it works fine through usb now, but now I cannot get my internal drive to work.. I havent even looked at the fstab yet, because I was just too tired from sitting at work.. I have pretty much got the ntfs thing down, I just wish it didnt have to be a "thing" to use drives like this.. I want to plug it in, and have it work.. My external doesnt go anywhere, so it can be permanently mounted and not dynamic... what do you thing of hardy? how is it's ntfs support?

Comment

I've really been happy with Hardy; to me, it's been much better than Gutsy since alpha3, when I first upgraded to it.  On my hardware, almost everything worked out of the box - including NTFS and WIFI support.

I have an NTFS formatted external HD I use to backup all my Linux stuff at home and Window$ stuff at school.  With Hardy, all I have to do is plug it in and Kubuntu takes over from there (I just open the drive in whichever filebrowser I'm using at the time).  KNetworkManager also auto-detects any existing wifi connections and autoconnects at bootup...pretty cool! 8)

The only real problem I have is my laptop hangs whenever I try to suspend it to RAM :P
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
            X