This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xserver crash on login...

I can no longer login to my account. When I try, my desktop comes up and then goes black and I get kicked back to the login screen. I tried safe? mode. I get a shell and I can run programs from there but if I do sudo startx all I get is an X for mouse and nothing for a desktop. I then reboot. I can, however, login to my wife's account with no problem. I don't have any clue as to what has happened. I did have to use super grub to boot my box because I tried installing gutsy on external HD. I have since reformatted that drive and used super grub disk to repair the mbr. It is after this repair that things got funky.
    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Re: xserver crash on login...

If you are able to boot into Recovery Mode (Single User), then at the prompt, type:
    Code:
    df -hT
    Note the amount of free space and/or space used on the root volume. Likely you are at 100% used with no space available. If this does turn out to be true, you need to delete unneeded files from the affected partition.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: xserver crash on login...

volumes have plenty of space. I was able to login after renaming .kde to .kdeold, so there must be some offending line or file in .kde folder. Does anyone have a clue as to where to start looking?
      Charlie

edit:
      changed back to previous .kde folder and now i can login to console and startx with no problem. Still can not login from graphical login.
      I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
      X