This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reboot with Windows

I have a dual boot system with WinXP. I don't use Windows often, so I have Kubuntu set as the default in grub with a very short timeout.

On the occasions when I do use Windows, I have to wait for the exact moment to hit the escape key and choose windows instead.

It would be very convenient if the K shutdown menu simply had an option to "reboot in windows mode", where the grub configuration was overridden on a one time basis, so you didn't have to sit there and babysit the computer while it shuts down and starts back up.

Is there a way to do this?

Re: Reboot with Windows

I'm not a programmer (at least not for Linux), but I wouldn't think it would be that hard to create a script that would edit the menu.lst file and reboot the computer with windows being default, and a 2nd script that you run everytime linux boots that sets Linux back to the default.
    mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
      I'm not a programmer (at least not for Linux), but I wouldn't think it would be that hard to create a script that would edit the menu.lst file and reboot the computer with windows being default, and a 2nd script that you run everytime linux boots that sets Linux back to the default.
      mm0
      That looks like a workable approach ... the downside being, of course, that instead of fiddling around to boot Windows as presently configured, you'll have to fiddle around to boot Linux (after a Windows session). :P

Comment

very true, I'm sure I could come up with some amazingly elegant solution, but since I can't actually implement it, I think I'll leave it up to someone who could actually make it work
        mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Is it possible for grub to execute scripts?

like telling grub to launch windows and then reset it's configuration file for next time?

Comment

Originally posted by lightnb

like telling grub to launch windows and then reset it's configuration file for next time?
            I've never heard of it -- but then I've never heard of many things, I'm sure. Here's pretty much everything you'll ever need to know about Grub:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm

Comment

I've read around on GRUB quite a bit, I've never seen anything where GRUB could do this.

Comment

On the occasions when I do use Windows, I have to wait for the exact moment to hit the escape key and choose windows instead.
                If you are having to hit escape, that sounds like you have the 'hiddenmen' option in GRUB uncommented (active), meaning you don't see the GRUB boot menu. All you need to do, is to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and comment (add the # sign) in front of the hiddenmen option and then if desired, increase the delay.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Good catch there. That would be the problem for the GRUB menu.

Comment

Working...
                  X