X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux MCE and Nvidia Geforce 7600

Hi all,

I've been trying to load Linux MCE on my PC with no luck. I've tried both the Quick Install DVD and the 2 CD installs with no luck. When I tried the DVD install, the UI would never start up.

When I tried the CD install after loading Kubuntu 7.04, I have the same problem. I think the problem is drivers for my video card, but I'm not sure where to got from here.

I tried to load the drivers for my card manually, but I think when the MCE runs, it loads its on generic drivers that don't work with my card. When I tried to load the drivers after MCE has loaded, I get an error about dependent packages not installed. Has anyone success fully got MCE working with the 7600?

Thanks

Re: Linux MCE and Nvidia Geforce 7600

No, I've attempted to get the 710 beta working in a virtual machine with my Nvidia 7900 GS, and still no luck :P I've been curious about Linux MCE since I found it about 3 months ago, but haven't successfully been able to get it installed.

I'll try again and let you how it goes; since it's built on top of Kubuntu, the nv driver should be installed, which should allow you to get display from your card. At the very least vesa should be there, which is compatible with all video cards.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

After the install and initial reboot, the screen goes blank. When i boot into recovery mode and run "startx" I am able to get into Kubuntu. I checked the driver that is being use and it's the "nv" driver. I changed it to the Geforce 7 series driver and then rebooted my system. The MCE wizard pops up and I went through the steps. Once I completed the setup, it get and error saying the orbiter is not running and the system just hangs.

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention, is when system tries to boot into MCE there are three audible beeps and then the screen goes blank. I think it's using different drivers for MCE and the Kubuntu UI if that's possible.

Comment

From what I've read about Linux MCE, it's basically a very large application installed on top of Kubuntu. So Kubuntu should be handling your drivers. If you haven't yet, try using Envy to install your Nvidia driver and let me know how that works.

I've decided the .iso I downloaded has somehow become corrupted, so I'm gonna' download another copy (it'll take about 1 1/2 days to complete :P). I'll post my experience once that's completed and I've installed it.
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
          X