X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED Broken System On booting blank screen which echoes typing

Broken System On booting blank screen which echoes typing

I had a problem with the system not sleeping and changed the display properties with system settings monitor and display

I thought that I had asked for a reboot but almost certainly hit the wrong key

The system rebooted and started the Kubuntu screen but then the screen goes bank with only a blinking cursor and I can type but only get a repeat of what I type - <Cntrl keys> have little effect - ie
    <Cnt C> gives no action
    <Cnt K> gives ^K
    <CNT ALT DEL> gives no action

I can reboot in recovery mode and see the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and find on the last lines
    "Screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration
    Fatal server error
    No screens found"

I have two screens a Phillips 170S LCD and a conventional monitor and I have used twinview for about 8 months

I have run memtest and that showed the memory was OK

OK I found the problem while I was typing this up.

On checking I found that /etc/X11/xorg.comf had been changed about the time of the reboot last night. (goodness knows how)

Fortunately - I had a backup left there which I unimaginatively called xorg.config.20070706
    So I did the following

cd /etc/X11
    cp xorg.conf xorg.config.this_is_wrong
    cp xorg.conf.20070706 xorg.conf
    rebooted

It worked

OK I am not sure if this is helpful to anyone else but as I spent an hour looking at the forum and saw nothing exactly the same I thought that I would at least tell of my misfortunes and say thanks to all of you marvelous people who help the newbie

Thanks

Re: Broken System On booting blank screen which echoes typing

If you actually resolved your error (sounds like you did), then please click the modify button on the initial post and put SOLVED in the subject line.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X