X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error Reading Boot CD

Hello All,

I'm trying to do a clean install of Kubuntu using the 7.04 Live CD. When I boot it appears as if it is going to work. I get a menu screen with the option to "Start or Install Kubuntu". I select "Start or Install Kubuntu" and after about 20 seconds I get an I/O error saying that it can not read from the boot cd.

I have tried burning the CD at different write speeds and the results are the same. I have the drives set for cable select. My CD-ROM drive is a Plextor PlexWriter Premium.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Error Reading Boot CD

Checklist:

Does the Plextor drive work OK on other CD's (reading)?

Did you check the MD5sum (checksum) from the download site?
    If the download is on the Desktop, navigate to Desktop (cd Desktop), and run
    md5sum filename
    Then compare the result to the md5sum you downloaded at the site.
    Or K3b can check it, too.

When you run the Live CD installer, there's an option "Check this CD for defects?"
    Say yes.

Finally, it's possible you have a bad batch of CDs.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yep, that looks like a defective CD. Burn it slow, at 4X speed.

Also, beware the "Check CD for Defects" utility -- it has been caught telling lies in the past. :P

Comment

Thank You all,

Purchased a new spindle of cd's, burned at 4x speed and installation worked.

Comment

A general comment from the peanut gallery - -

Everyone says to burn at 4x, and that's great. Great, that is, if you can. Being able to burn at 4x depends on the CD and on the burning CD/DVD machine and on the software. My Sony DRU810 (a decent unit at $100), will not burn at 4x. When I set it to do so, K3b adjusts it up to 12x (4x not available).

Now, whatever. We hear the 4x everywhere, but fact is, I am not aware of any physical experiments that support that. In fact, I know one source that suggests it doesn't matter, based on extensive testing (at hardwareguys.com --don't have the specifics handy because it has become more a part of an accepted "community knowledge" there).

I think what counts is to have a good machine, a good CD, and to burn reasonably slowly (i.e., NOT at 30x, certainly below 15x). If you have a bad burner or a bad CD, burning at any speed will not help.

My 3 cents worth. Maybe I'll dig up those tests sometimes and post them here somewhere.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X