This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feisty LiveCD not working at all

Hi, I previously posted on the 7.10 forum to ask whether I should go for Gibbon or Fawn for my new HP notebook, with the following specs:

HP Pavilion dv6500t CTO NB
    - Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
    - Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    - 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
    - 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)!
    - 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    - Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
    - 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    - SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

Feisty was recommended as being the best option because many people are having troubles with the Gibbon.

However, I have been having immense troubles getting the Feisty LiveCD to work. My travails started when I tried to create partitions on the hard drive using Vista's partition tool. Just wouldn't let me shrink the disk down enough, even after moving the pagefile and (supposedly) deleting the shadow copies. So, I tried the Gparted livecd, and somehow cocked things up with that (it also couldn't get the partition with Vista to shrink more than the Vista software, and I got out of it incorrectly. When I rebooted, the Vista O/S was not detected). Long story short, I killed everything on the hard drive, set up partitions using the favored choice posted here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning.

My reasoning at this point was that I would get Feisty Fawn running, and then instal XP on an NTFS partition made after I got Linux up and running.

However, I have now spent several days trying to get the Live CD to work for me, and it is fruitless. I have gathered from several different posts that the Feisty Live CD has problems. e.g. http://www.livecdnews.com/2007/04/19...fawn-released/.

I have also found that this particular notebook of mine might be problematic for Ubuntu/Kubuntu. e.g. http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=123930 (although this suggests that the AMD64 chipset is the problem, even though my Core-2 duo seems isn't giving any joy).

So, to summarize my main problems:

1) Initially, I found that the screen would go dead just after I started running the LiveCD. This is apparently because the NVidia drivers are incompatible with Kubuntu. I seemed to be able to fix this by changing the screen settings (f4 option at the Kubuntu start-up prompt) to 1280X800X32, in that I could then at least see what was going on, which was....

2)...not much else. Inevitably, I get to the same screen after a brief period of activity:

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-2ubuntu3) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
    (initramfs)

I even got this screen when I tried to check the CD for defects.

This problem is widely reported, but there are many variants of it (e.g. occurs during LiveCD boots, following installed O/S upgrades, etc.), and the possible fixes are also diverse.

I find myself at a tipping point. I really want to use a Linux system. I would love to be able to use it exclusively. However, I need to finish a PhD by May, and I can't afford to spend too many days simply trying to get a taste of Kubuntu. Forum hunting for bits and pieces of solutions to a problem that is very likely specific to my hardware (and possibly related to my inexpert tampering thus far) is thus starting to become too costly of a time investment.

Therefore, if anyone has experienced a problem similar to mine, with a similar machine, and has managed to fix it, I would very much appreciate hearing how it was overcome.

Failing that, could someone point me to a good supported version of Linux that I could try. I am willing to spend a bit of money to get away from MS, provided the solution is not actually more expensive than MS. E.g. Is Dapper a good way to go?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I am trying hard to resist Bill Gates' siren song to rejoin the herd; I hear the recovery DVDs calling to me as we speak.

By the way, as you may have gathered, complete Linux neophyte. Moderately competent user of Windows.

Thanks!

Re: Feisty LiveCD not working at all

An update in the meantime, for anyone who is interested.

I have given up on the LiveCD, as there seems to be too many things wrong with it i.r.t. this machine (HP DV6500T). Much of it must be the NVidia card.

I tried Gutsy Gibbon, as I saw in other posts on the Ubuntu forum that it could deal with the Nvidia problem. I found that was not the case, even with several recommended boot options attached, and trying to adjust the screen resolution (this worked with the Feisty Live CD, but not Gutsy, for some reason).

I have tried SimplyMEPIS 6.5--seems to have the same problems with the Nvidia. However, to be fair to Mepis, I couldn't seem to get a decent burn for the CD--sums never matched those of the ISO file.

I tried Fedora 8--which is the only Live CD that has worked for me thus far. I didn't spend much time in it, but I opened a few things up, and they seemed to work. Got internet through the LAN cable, but couldn't get through my secured router using the network utility (shows options for 128-bit keys only, but my system is 64-bit, so probably requires some work). Also, the shutdown button didn't respond. However, at this stage, I might well take it....

...assuming my last ditch effort to install Feisty using the AlternateCD doesn't work. Will post on that, which is currently underway.

To do it, I have four partitions (Vista on a 30 gb partition, a 160 GB Ext3 /home partition, a ~29 GB / partition, and a 6 GB swap). This based on the recommendations of Snowhog http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...81465#msg81465 and this chap
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning.

What I did to repartition:

1) Used Vista's native tool to shrink the volume down to 35 GB. In order to shrink it down far enough, I had to kill the system restore points (see http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/ for a how-to). I also did not kill the Vista recovery partition (as per Snowhog's recommendation), as I did in my first attempt to repartition. Doing that seems to make it impossible to shrink the hard drive, even if you move the pagefile and the shadow copy.

2) Used GParted to make new partitions out of the free space. I killed the vista recovery partition at this stage, as only 4 partitions are allowed, and I wanted separate / and /home partitions, plus I needed a swap partition.

Will see how it goes.

Comment

It seems that the dual-boot is successful. Vista fires up when selected, and Feisty seems to be installed.

Of course, there is no graphical user interface. I am thus using the recommended Envy set-up routine, listed at http://albertomilone.com/latest_nvid....html#METHOD_1.

Seems as if everything downloads fine, but I am getting hung up at the following section of the instructions:

) Create a link to the “Nvidia-Settings” Panel in your application menu:

sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/NVIDIA-Settings.desktop

OR (if you use KDE)

kdesu kate /usr/share/applications/NVIDIA-Settings.desktop

I have run the latter command, using both sudo, kdesu, and trying kwrite instead of kate. I also switched to root, and re-ran the entire set of instructions to this point.

I keep getting the following error:

kate: cannot connect to xserver

or kdesu: cannot connect.....

I can't find anything that immediately relates to this, so any help would be most appreciated at this point.

I should add that I restarted the system, and it was still black, but this time I couldn't even get to the command line prompt. I had to boot up in recovery mode. Not sure what is going on there.

Thanks.

Comment

I have made a bit of progress, and am now over here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3085112.15

Machine is partially working with a GUI, CDROM not enabled (entering administrator mode and trying to enable results in failure--says its not detected), no sources.list file, for some reason, and thus struggling to download necessary packages without CD, and no ability to comment out the prompt to look for the CD when downloading packages. Thus, not able to get to ENVY and fix the video card.

Fixes will be over at the other thread.

Comment

Working...
        X