X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe upgrade/install

Hello all!
    I want to upgrade my system to eventually switch over to Gutsy (when the final version is released), but I have this one inhibition....
    My internet connection is not very stable and gets disconnected frequently (ISP problem). Since upgrading requires a lot of download, I fear that the internet may get disconnected in the middle of a download.
    Do I need to worry about this, or Adept/apt-get handles this kind of situations, or should I take some additional steps so that, if it does get disconnected, I can back up whatever is downloaded and start from that point on when the connection resumes?
    All kinds of suggestions are welcome
    Triple booting Kubuntu Intrepid with XP and Ubuntu Hardy <br />Intel Pentium DualCore 2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM Intel 945GM MoBo

Re: Safe upgrade/install

It frightened me fairly when it said the download is 700Mb, and i'm certain that it said that it can't be cancelled later, so i clicked the "Cancel" box. I assume that if the connection drops, you'd be buggered.

On the Gutsy Upgrade page it says:
    Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD
    Use this method if the system being upgraded is not connected to the Internet.
    Download and burn the alternate installation CD
    Insert it into your CD-ROM drive
    A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade using that CD
    Follow the on-screen instructions
    If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run the following command using Alt+F2:
    Code:
    gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"
    Perhaps you'd be safer downloading the .iso - if you can "Resume"...?

Comment

Re: Safe upgrade/install

My internet connection is not very stable and gets disconnected frequently (ISP problem). Since upgrading requires a lot of download, I fear that the internet may get disconnected in the middle of a download.
      Do I need to worry about this, or Adept/apt-get handles this kind of situations, or should I take some additional steps so that, if it does get disconnected, I can back up whatever is downloaded and start from that point on when the connection resumes?
      Yes - apt/aptitude/adept/synaptic/whatever should download all packages. and then upgrade.

You could dowload packages:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get -d -u dist-upgrade
      -d, --download-only
      Download only; package files are only retrieved, not unpacked or
      installed.
      And then use official upgrade tool (or whatever)

It seems that official upgrade tool is buggy.
      Topic: Upgrade From Kubuntu Feisty to Gutsy Beta incomplete
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086928.0
      I managed to get the upgrade to complete by using 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
      X