This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MBR

I'd like kubuntu to not write grub to the mbr is it possible to install it on a second hdd without grub ?

Re: MBR

Yes, but you need to use the Alternate Install CD, not the Live CD. When it comes to the screen that asks if you want Grub installed to the first hard drive, you say "NO" and then on the next screen you enter a drive designation where Grub can go without causing any problem. In that screen, enter the designation of your second hard drive where you installed Kubuntu, say "/dev/sdb1", and Grub will go there and cause no difficulties at all.

Comment

Yes and . . . you can do it with the basic installer:

Using the regular Desktop Live Kubuntu CD install method, select the manual partitioning method, then in Step 6, look carefully at the lower right (do not forget to do this!), click the Advanced button, and there specify where you want GRUB installed to. The second of two hard drives would be (hd1) (counting starts at zero, so the first HD is (hd0)). This will put GRUB in the MBR of the second hard drive. You could also put GRUB into the same partition as you put the root files (/) of Kubuntu, like (hd1,0) (the first partition of the second HD), or (hd1,1), (hd1,2), etc. Doing this does no harm at all -- you can always get in there later, manually, and do whatever you wish to do with GRUB, including nothing.

To boot into Kubuntu, you can manually enter BIOS each time and select the second drive.
      or,
      you could put GRUB on a flash drive and have it give you a boot menu from which to choose which drive to boot (ie, which OS to select).

How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thx, also is there a way to login as root

Comment

About the installer . . . the Alternate CD is used for anything "expert" or "custom" like this. However, in 7.04, they included the GRUB option under that Advanced button at the end (Step 6), but it is not very well advertised or explained! I hope in the next versions they make this a bit more user-friendly. I have not yet tried the regular Live Desktop CD in Gutsy to see if this "Advanced" option is improved.

About root -- I have no experience/knowledge about that, but I've seen other posts around here on it. Someone will jump in on that for you here (or try a search).
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

ok, thx for the fast reply, i think i first try to install it in vmware workstation

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
              However, in 7.04, they included the GRUB option under that Advanced button at the end (Step 6), but it is not very well advertised or explained!
              Yep, I had forgotten that little change -- I got used to the Alternate Install with Edgy, and have kind of stuck with it ever since, because of my multiple OS/multiple drives. But it's good that they've made the Live CD a little more flexible that way.

Comment

i tried the alternate install but it hanged after it loaded something and it just showed a blue screen

Comment

Originally posted by xeross
                  Thx, also is there a way to login as root
                  With *buntu you don't login as root, you use sudo. Unless you are an expert, don't mess with it. There are plenty of guides and howto's, find them and follow them.

Comment

Originally posted by xeross
                    i tried the alternate install but it hanged after it loaded something and it just showed a blue screen
                    That sounds like a bad burn of the CD. I've never heard of a problem booting the Alternate on a machine that would boot the Live CD.

Comment

The problem was also wubi didn't work, and i dont know if it makes a difference but i have the live dvd

Comment

Sorry -- I posted in the wrong thread and so deleted what was here just now.

Comment

Working...
                        X