Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using feisty 7.04 installing and live CD with a CDROM only !!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using feisty 7.04 installing and live CD with a CDROM only !!!!!

Hi

I have trying to install Feisty 7.04, wihtout HDD, but always needs to define a partition in a Hard Disk to proceed installation. I don´t want to install in HDD ( there is no Hard disk connected to the computer ) ....i just want booting and using running live CD .... Please I can i get to boot as a live a real CD in Feisy 7.04 ..... like de 6.06 LTS version ...without a hard disk....

thank you...all ....

Re: Using feisty 7.04 installing and live CD with a CDROM only !!!!!

Wellllllllll .... that's a good question!

OK, you cannot "install" Kubuntu if there is not a hard drive, unless you want to install it on a fairly large (4GB+) memory stick, by following Qqmike's tutorial here

But you can "run" Kubuntu from the Live CD -- that is what it is for! Just boot the Live CD of your choice (i386 or AMD/64), and when it is loaded up and you have the KDE desktop, you can use the Konqueror browser, the Open Office applications, the terminal, or any of the standard KDE packages that are found under the KMenu (the button on the lower left of the panel-bar).

Hope this clears it up a little, and welcome!

Comment

Thanks for replying to Eduardo dibl.

I'm just a bit confused in what he seems to be expressing, namely, that while booting from the LiveCD he (apparently) is being asked/required (?) to define partitions That doesn't seem like what the LiveCD is supposed to do, is it? Or does the LiveCD "expect" that a HD is present, and actually probes for one.....

Has anyone actually booted a Linux LiveCD on a system that had no HDs in it?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, look again Snowhog -- he said "trying to install" -- I believe he clicked the "Install Me" button, and that will indeed require that you say "where" on the hard drive.

Comment

Yes, that much I knew. Sometimes I read a bit more into a question than maybe I should. :P

If one has successfully booted the LiveCD and are on the Desktop, you do not want to click the Install icon if you have no HDs to install to.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If you want to run a linux system without using the hard drive you should take a look at Puppy Linux. It runs totally in 128 mb ram. I play with it as well as Kubuntu.

Comment

Hi

thank you very much for the replies....

I don´t want to install in HDD ( there is no Hard disk connected to the computer ) ....i just want booting by CD and using running live CD, but I dont Khnow why .... Feisty 7.04 has the same name as 6.06 LTS ( the first option of kubuntu CD selecting ... install ...) but it insists in determine partitions to install in Hard Disk ... no KDE Desktop appears.....to me ... just asking to configure installation .. keyboard .. partiotion etc.... How can I can I get a live real CD in Feisty 7.04 ..... like de 6.06 LTS running in 512 MB of RAM ...without a hard disk.... perfectly .. I have downloaded de image feisty 7.04 .. from the kubuntu official site ...

thank you...all ....

Please Help....

Comment

Have you perchance downloaded the wrong image - namely, the alternate install CD rather than the live CD?

Comment

Hi everyone

Please Robin could you please give me the directions or links to download the alternate install....i dont want to install I just want to run feisty 7.04 in ram memory only booting with a CDROM....

Please friends help....

Comment

You can get the disc here:

http://mirrors.rit.edu/ubuntu-releases/kubuntu/feisty/

I think your trying to use the Alternate cd. It does not have a live environment.

If you want to run a linux system without using the hard drive you should take a look at Puppy Linux. It runs totally in 128 mb ram. I play with it as well as Kubuntu.
                    I have it running on a p166 with 48mg of ram. Works well.
                    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Not sure if I have missed something, but if Eduardo tries to download the Live CD, where would he download it TO?
                      I would have thought that, with no hard drive, you would have to already have a copy of the livecd. Perhaps obtained from a kind friend who would download and burn the ISO for you?

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Working...
                      X