This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade to feisty renames hard disk?

A few days ago I upgraded my laptop from Edgy to Feisty. I just noticed that the hard disk now shows up as sda instead of hda. It's an ordinary laptop ide drive that always used to be hda. Now,"sudo fdisk /dev/hda" returns "unable to open /dev/hda", and "sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda" returns the partition info for the hard disk.

When I plug in a usb drive, that now shows up in dmesg as sdb (it used to be sda).

Is this normal for feisty, or did something go wrong in the upgrade?

ed: PS: when I boot it from a Knoppix CD, the hard disk shows up as /dev/hda, as it should.

Re: upgrade to feisty renames hard disk?

Normal. The *ubuntu Gods (apparently) decided to change the 'standard' on drive naming. There are a few posts in the forum on this.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks.

There's nothing to say about that but Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Normal. The *ubuntu Gods (apparently) decided to change the 'standard' on drive naming.
        In this particular case, it is not the Gods of Ubuntu to be blamed - but the maintainer of the kernel module in question, who currently is rewriting it (which in turn would not be a bad thing in itself - if only this guy refrained from publishing half-finished stuff ...).

Comment

Working...
        X