This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with 2.6.20-16-generic [Solved]

OK. When it first was released I noticed problems. I've fixed those problems on an ACER Laptop (Pent M/ 1G RAM/ i915 Display). I also fixed in on a Dell Lat D810 (Pent M/ 1G Ram/ ATI Display). Trying it on my Dell Desktop Dim8300 (Pent4 HT/ 2G RAM/ nVidia 5200 Display) and MAN!!! what is going on!!!. Freezes just as the Boot Splash is displayed. OK, remove "quiet splash". Boots perfectly!! What? OK, remove quiet. Gets to a point and displays "Waiting for root file system". OK. Remove just splash and it actually does display some info which is even more baffling. That info being "hdd not accepting command..." Displays this 3 or 4 times and freezes. Yes I have a ZIP drive in there. What it is assigned as a drive I do not know, but I do know that it can't be near that since the one I boot from is supposed to be hde (assigned by new kernel by the way, wasn't that before the kernel it was sdb). What I expect at hdd would be another Hard Drive (of which there isn't). More info - yes, this is a SATA system, ZIP and CD/DVD drives on IDE. But to me that seems all irrelevant since I remove "quiet splash" and it boots fine!! This is baffling. I'm not upset since 2.6.20-15-generic works fine, but I like the idea of keeping the kernel up to date. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!!! What am I missing!!!!??

Re: Problems with 2.6.20-16-generic

If you are console savvy, please post these file contents to the reply:

Code:
    lspci | cat >> kubuntuforums_lspci.txt
    dmesg | cat >> kubuntuforums_dmesg.txt
    This will help us isolate things. If you can get a text prompt with usplash running by using ctl+alt+F1, then switch it off, and send it, then we REALLY will get definitive answers .

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Well, since it never boots the "normal" way (console or Login) it will be difficult to do. Like I said, I can get it to boot by just removing "quiet splash", since that makes it boot, will those files really have anything that would help?

Comment

OK. I compared those outputs from the outputs booted under the old kernel. LSPCI identical. DMESG, other than the order, identical except for the Drive assignment (i.e. sdb5 in the old hde5 in the new). Then again, I did expect that since I can boot it without "quiet splash" being in the GRUB line for the kernel. It has to be something with those two, right? Makes no since otherwise.

Comment

Re: Problems with 2.6.20-16-generic [Solved]

Well, evidently there was a problem with the kernel. They released an updated version and all is well now. The only problem is the drive names are back to before this upgraded kernel, so now I guess I'll have to "re-fix" the ones that booted fine but the drive names had changed. Ahhh, Such is the life of testing.

Comment

Working...
          X