This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

password problem

On my comp. there are three other people with login rights.
    But when I want to install something in one of my daughters accounts, I run Adept manager of course. It then asks for the password, so I give my password, which is the super user password of course. But I don't get any access.
    When I try it in my own account, no problem. So what is wrong here? Just me, or am I missing something?

Thanks.
    Go through life one sheep at a time.

Re: password problem

Short answer: you need to add your daughter's account to the 'admin' group (by default, only the first user account is added to 'admin' group, which is allowed to use sudo/kdesu in /etc/sudoers)

Longer answer:
    Depending on circumstances, adding more accounts to 'admin' might be risky if you don't want your daughter to be able to use sudo/kdesu (as by default, sudo asks for the user's password...in your daughter's account, sudo asks for your daughter's password).

There are a few ways around this:
    1. You can set a root password and set sudo to ask for that instead of the user's password
    2. Or you can limit administrative tasks to your account...you can quickly switch to your admin account from your daughter's session by using 'su <YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME>' in the konsole and launching 'kdesu <ADMIN_PROGRAM_NAME>' from there.

There are other ways, as well (like limiting the programs your daughter has access to with sudo/kdesu), but it all depends on your circumstances and your needs to limit admin access on your machine.

Post again, if you have more questions on the subject (like how to edit sudo configuration etc.)

Comment

Re: password problem

Thanks for the answer.
      Have worked with Mandrake, Xandros and now the last year with Kubuntu. Since Kubuntu this has plagued me, and last night I was smart enough to ask because in the other distro's I didn't have that problem.
      Thanks for your answer, and I will get things arranged the right way.
      Go through life one sheep at a time.

Comment

Working...
      X