This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Critic of my Feisty Fawn Install Game Plan

I'm relatively new to the Linux world having used Kubuntu Edgy Eft for approx 5 months now in a dual boot configuration with Windows 2000. I've decided to take the plunge and expunge Windows 2000 off my hard drive completely and just run Kubuntu Feisty Fawn. I am developing a game plan for the move and wanted to present it here so that all the those with much more experience than I can troubleshoot it and let me know what I've forgotten or potential pitfalls. First my system:

System:
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    A7 motherboard
    ATI Radeon 9559
    40 Gb hard-drive
    4 Gb secondary drive
    512 MB PC133 ram
    Soundblaster Audigy LS
    Acer AL1916 19” LCD monitor

So here's my plan:

1.Make current list of all programs I've installed and been using since my Edgy Eft initial install (such as Tux Cards, Tellico, GQview, Kopete Desklist, Guarddog, etc)

2.Back up my entire personal folder (including hidden folders) to DVD / CD.

QUESTION: Will this include my Kmail emails (entire Kontact PIM), Tellico music collection CD covers?? Is there anything elsewhere that I should back up?? System wide settings, etc

3.Format (as part of install). 18 Gb linux partition, 20 Gb “home” partition, 2Gb Swap partition.

QUESTION: What is the best format option? I've read that the Swap drive should be approx double what your installed RAM is. I am soon to go to 1 GB of ram (should I wait till I install the extra ram or just format a 1 Gb swap file now?? I've also read that your personal home folder should be on a separate partition so that if / when you re-install Linux, you retain all your personal settings, etc.

4.Format 4 Gb Secondary drive. I've always used this for all my documents, photos (don't have a lot of them obviously) when using Windows 2000. It is presently NTFS formatted. Should I just delete all content and leave as is? I was wanting to use it to automatically store Home partition backups of my system but I'm not sure how to do this yet. (More research).

5.Install Kubuntu Feisty Fawn.

6.Copy over the backup of my Home folder from my backup DVD.

QUESTION: I am presuming all my previous settings, emails, internet bookmarks, desktop settings, etc will automatically kick in

7.That should be pretty well it. I should be able to start enjoying my Windows free computer. Any steps, considerations I've missed??

Re: Looking for Critic of my Feisty Fawn Install Game Plan

1.Make current list of all programs I've installed and been using since my Edgy Eft initial install (such as Tux Cards, Tellico, GQview, Kopete Desklist, Guarddog, etc)
    Sounds good. There is a command for that. I can't remember what it was. I am sure someone here does.

2.Back up my entire personal folder (including hidden folders) to DVD / CD.
    Deffinately, although I would be carefull with your kde settings. I am not sure if they all port to kde3.5.6 as used in feisty. So my advice would be to install a user in /home and the transfer your kmail, firefox, konqueror etc. setting plus your data from the cd/dvd as needed. This also answers part of question 6.

3.Format (as part of install). 18 Gb linux partition, 20 Gb “home” partition, 2Gb Swap partition.

QUESTION: What is the best format option? I've read that the Swap drive should be approx double what your installed RAM is. I am soon to go to 1 GB of ram (should I wait till I install the extra ram or just format a 1 Gb swap file now?? I've also read that your personal home folder should be on a separate partition so that if / when you re-install Linux, you retain all your personal settings, etc.
    It is always good proceedure to have a seperate /home partition. I would use the gparted live cd:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
    There is also a lot of info on partitioning worth reading there.

I would use ext3 through out.

The swap size you invision is okay.

4.Format 4 Gb Secondary drive. I've always used this for all my documents, photos (don't have a lot of them obviously) when using Windows 2000. It is presently NTFS formatted. Should I just delete all content and leave as is? I was wanting to use it to automatically store Home partition backups of my system but I'm not sure how to do this yet. (More research).
    Sounds good. Format it as ext3.

For the rest:
    If you are using samba copy your /etc/samba/smb.conf file and read this:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3083305.0

If you have a special graphics setup copy your /etc/x11/xorg.conf as well.

That should do it. enjoy

Cheers
    fintan
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: Looking for Critic of my Feisty Fawn Install Game Plan

Originally posted by wild_willy
      in konsole type one of the following:
      dpkg --get-selections > filename or
      dpkg -l > filename

Comment

Working...
      X