This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu ate windows alive O_O

yes you read it right. on the ubuntu forums I followed the procedure to make windows and kubuntu dual bootable when both were on seperate hard drives. I followed the instructions to the line. Grub had windows as a bootup option, but when i chose it, it would go to sony's recovery wizard and then blue screen. I had to reformat. Thinking maybe it was a windows update gone wrong, I tried it again, did the same thing. I'm pretty sure GRUB took out the boot.ini file, or overwrote it. But someone had my XP disk so i couldn't repair it.

how the F*** do i fix this?

heres the link to the instructions

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=124989

Re: Kubuntu ate windows alive O_O

You pointed grub to the wrong windows partition. I did the same thing the first time. In kubuntu open konsole and type sudo fdisk -l. This will show you where windows is. The recovery partition will be a lot smaller. In windows the os is on C and the recovery on D. When I did fdisk -l it showed that windows was actually on the second partition

Disk /dev/hdb: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
    240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 25841 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdb1 1 566 4278928+ b W95 FAT32
    /dev/hdb2 * 567 25840 191071440 7 HPFS/NTFS

The first partition(FAT32) is the recovery. It shows up as the D drive in windows for grub this would be hd1,0(second drive ,first partition) remember grub starts at 0 for the first drive and 0 for the first partition.

Here is the line I used for windows in grub.

title Windows XP
    root (hd1,1)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

I placed it above this line

## ## End Default Options ##

Good luck

eriefisher

~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment