X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash upon Boot

Hi!

I am very new to Kubuntu. Can someone please help me out?

I downloaded the iso image of the LiveCD, burnt it. I tried to boot it from the CD. After I hit 'run or install' from the main menu, it enters to a loading screen where I see the kubuntu logo against a black background, with a blue bar moving. However, the blue bar begins to mess up, split up into two, and then the computer crashes. It happens every time. There is not way I can load ubuntu on my computer.

My computer's config are as follows:

P4 2.4GHz
    512 RAM
    FX 5200 display card

I tried the same procedure on my laptop it works perfectly. Can someone please tell me what's wrong with my desktop? and how can I fix the problem so I can load kubuntu on my desktop?

Many thanks!

Cheers,
    Charles

Re: Crash upon Boot

You say "crashes", but try it again, and when you're pretty sure nothing is happening (after the blue bar has fragmented and stopped moving), press Alt-F1, just for fun. If that produces a text login prompt, then there may be hope .... :P

Comment

No it doesn't respond to anything. A moment later the whole screen turns black. The CD drive is not running. Seems to me this could be a graphic problem?

Comment

You are booting from the CD? If so, have you tried Safe Graphics Mode? Also, if booting from the CD, I know you get a black screen, do you hear the KDE startup sound? If so, try CTRL-ALT-"minus key (number pad)". That will change your screen resolution. If you get a picture after that, then yes Kubuntu is "mis-interpreting" your system and displaying at the wrong resolution/frequency. I have that problem on my Dell Dim. 8300 with Nvidia 5200 display card when booting from CD.

Comment

Hi Moonrise,

Thanks for your advice. But it doesn't really work for my situation.

When I tried to boot in the normal way, the computer freezes at the startup screen (with the logo and the bar), and does not respond to anything thereafter.

I also tried safe graphic mode. This time it seems some more things are loaded as I hear the CD drive running for longer. But then the screen gone black and turn itself off (I mean, there is literally no signal sending to the monitor), and the computer does not respond to anything.

In both cases I pressed Ctrl+Alt+minus, but there is no respond.

Please help! It would be so great if I can get Kubuntu working on my desktop.

Thanks SOOO much.

Charles

Comment

OK, this is a long shot but worth a try. I found this link "http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3083421.0". It tells how to change boot options on the Live CD by pressing F6. What you need to do is find the boot option "quiet splash" and remove it. This should allow you to see what it is loading at boot (and hopefully any errors). I think this should work. I haven't tested that as I do not have my CD with me at the moment. Let me know!

Comment

So I Booted with splash qiet removed.

Everything was loading with [OK] until it stops at a line that reads as follows:

* Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
              [76.682377] BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!

Do you what what that means and how to solve it? Also, I downloaded the previous version (6.x) of kubuntu. I haven't burnt it yet, but is there any chance it may work on the same computer?

Again, many thanks!

Comment

Unfortunately would go beyond what I do know. That is the CUPS daemon if I'm not mistaken. I've never had problems realted to CUPS so I wouldn't know where to begin at the moment. From what I have read, it has to do with how long the script takes to get a response and that could be hindered by various reasons. One problem similar to yours had to do with the Kernel, so the 6.x version you downloaded just may work great! I'd give it a try and let me know.

Comment

If it's any consolation, you're not alone on that "BUG: soft lockup..." problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=251944

Comment

yes you are right. version 6 works perfectly. i guess i'll just stick with v6 then. thanks so much for your help. is there any significant difference between v6 and v7?

Comment

Working...
                    X