This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't login to Kubuntu!

I installed Kubuntu and started up and started adding new programs. Then the next day Kubuntu loaded. It's get to the login screen i type my user name and password everythings correct. I click enter then it will load and go to a black screen for a few moments then u will see the mouse and etc. but right after it goes straight back to the login in screen. Can some1 help me with this problem. Please!!

Re: I can't login to Kubuntu!

Try booting in rescue mode. Upon the prompt type dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (using rescue mode you are root) and then hit return. Accept any defaults offered. Then type startx.

Any joy? If not, any error messages?

Ian

Comment

You sure you aren't seeing any error messages? It sounds like a full root file system, preventing x from starting. Feisty has a habit of filling up /, and there ain't anything you can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by aiiee
        It sounds like a full root file system, preventing x from starting. Feisty has a habit of filling up /, and there ain't anything you can do about it.
        Yes, it could be a full root file system, or an xserver issue -- Liquidator's advice is worth trying.

As far as the "filling up /" issue, I disagree -- here are 2 easy things you can do about it:

1. Make it 8 or 10 GB to start with, on its own partition, and
        2. Use this product periodically to dump the junk https://sourceforge.net/projects/kleanup

8)

Comment

Thanks for the pointer dibl. I had searched high and low for some solution and this is the first time I've seen a reference to 'kleanup'. I will try it!

Why would the partition size make a difference? Do you know what is filling up /?

Comment

Well it seems 'kleanup' uses old libraries that I don't have on Feisty and won't run. Any suggestions are very welcome

Comment

OOoops!

Well, I hadn't actually run kleanup myself since Edgy -- didn't know it won't run under Feisty. Sorry 'bout that -- it was real handy for trimming the root filesystem down to size.

On the root partition size, I was surprised (when running Edgy) to see the used space grow to near 5 GB, while I was learning Linux and installing every package in the repos in the process. I think a lot of people think of the Linux root filesystem as a little 1 or 2 GB system, and don't realize that it could get pretty big over time. So, if you set up a 4 GB partition for root, you might just get the problem that crOssOver saw -- nice login screen, but it won't actually let you in anymore.

Comment

The only thing that I know that can make the / grow up fast is the apt cache.

It's a dir /var/cache/apt where every package that you download and install with apt or any frontend (like adept, synaptic or the add/remove program) are stored. It's the first place to clean.

I have a machine with a very small root partition (3 Gb IIRC) and have no special problems with it. I have a fun time updating distros, as the download is big enough to fill the partition, but no problem in normal operation.

Javier.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  OOoops!
                  Tz, tz, tz ... time for "plan b" then

At least to be warned early enough, a script like this one in combination with a tool like that one might prove helpful 8)

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
                    Originally posted by dibl
                    OOoops!
                    time for "plan b" then

As always, the master Bird provides a masterful solution!

Comment

You might try seeing if your /home directory is full. removing trash and temporary files help. Also you could try moving large files of this directory. I did try this and it worked for me!

Comment

Originally posted by javierrivera
                        The only thing that I know that can make the / grow up fast is the apt cache.

It's a dir /var/cache/apt where every package that you download and install with apt or any frontend (like adept, synaptic or the add/remove program) are stored. It's the first place to clean.

Javier.
                        Thanks. Can I delete all that 'stuff'' in there?

Comment

Originally posted by aiiee
                          Can I delete all that 'stuff'' in there?
                          The magic formula is: sudo apt-get clean

Comment

awesome. thank you. When that root file system fills up, it seemed to kill it. No matter what I deleted df always reported 100% full. so this should prevent me having to re-install FF again at least!

Comment

Working...
                            X