This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE would not start after Feisty upgrade until I reconfigured xserver

Several days back I tried upgrading from Edgy to Feisty. It did not go well. Everything seemed fine until the reboot. KDE tried to start but failed and dumped me out int console. It said something about having "No resume image during normal boot." I decided to reload my backup.

Today I tried again with the same result. This time I ran xinit. Once again it tried but dumped me into the console but this time with a message about xorg.conf.

I decided to try reconfiguring the package using:

sudo -i dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

That seemed to do the trick. Next time i restarted X KDE started right up.

I hope this helps somebody

Re: KDE would not start after Feisty upgrade until I reconfigured xserver

I will give this a shot! Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by bturrie
      It said something about having "No resume image during normal boot."
      This is not an error: this is normal unless you're returning from suspend/hibernate mode.

X probably wasn't starting because you use the proprietary nVidia drivers, and the upgrade to Feisty changes the version of the kernel you run (so you need to reinstall them).

That said, the command you issued is exactly the right thing to try when trying to fix X!

Comment

That makes sense, although I was using an ati driver and I hadn't (as far as I can remember) enabled the multiverse or restricted repositories so I don't think it was a proprietary driver.

Comment

Ok to start off I AM VERY NEW TO LINUX, the closest thing to I ever tried was Mac OS X.

I updated to FF and had video drivers issues, so followed instructions on the Ubuntu doc to fix it. Then i got (No resume image during normal boot), so i found this thread. gave it a try and it didn't work for me. I got some error:

Line 6: my: command not found
          line 8: use: command not found
          line 9: use: command not found
          line 10: use: command not found
          line 11: use: command not found
          line 12: use: command not found
          line 13: syntax error near unexpected token '('
          line 13: 'use Debconf::Autoselect qw(:all);'

So i guess i need help BAD!!!

:-(

Comment

Re: KDE would not start after Feisty upgrade until I reconfigured xserver(SOLVED

Found the answer : http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0

YEAH!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X