Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Root Password Issue (Yes, another tipic on this)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root Password Issue (Yes, another tipic on this)

Hello all, i have searched the forums, tried all the ideas that came up in the threads, and NOTHING has worked, Basically, im trying to start with the most basic thing, Setting up my Displays,

i load the system settings window, then i click Monitor and Display,

i notice the message at the top that says "Changes in this section require root access"

So i click the Administrator mode button like it says, and it asks for a root password... (so me being smart went to the Kubuntu FAQ page on the site) and that said, "Use your user password"

So i tried, typed in the password, clicked ok, and the password box closed, and it went back to the Monitor and Display screen, but now it has a red box around it, and ALL the buttons including the Admin mode button are greyed out.

it does the same thing for all options i try to change, even Network Settings, and various others....

And i know the password im entering is correct, because i use it to log on, and EVERYTHING else i do..... its my Email password, my Website Password, all my forums passwords... and so on.

is there any way to just Force it to be in Admin mode all the time? Cos its pissing me off enough that im auctually WANTING to go back to windows.... which i dispise more than anything in the world.

Re: Root Password Issue (Yes, another tipic on this)

When the Monitor and Display screen has a red box around it, it means you are in administrator mode. If you change any settings, the Apply Button will no longer be greyed out.
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Now i feel like a moron......... Ugh.... im going to load it up and see... but i was sure that all my options were greyed out tho.

:::EDIT:::

Just tried...

i can change everything i want.... but the Apply button stays greyed out, so i cant apply the changes.

:::EDIT:::

i gave up.... formatted that HDD.... reinstalled Kubuntu, SAME PROBLEM.
      This is really Dodgy......

is there a way to disable that admin crap, so its admin mode all the time.... cos only i have access to this PC, and having to retype passwords over and over is ****ed up... and why the hell cant i apply any changes!?

Comment

Originally posted by DazzaJay
        is there a way to disable that admin crap, so its admin mode all the time.... cos only i have access to this PC, and having to retype passwords over and over is #&%$ed up...
        Yes, you can simply login as root. But, before I tell you how to do that, please please consider that you'll lose all the intrinsic protection you would otherwise have from trojans and other nasties that might want to attach themselves to the OS. It's just not a good way to operate. And, if you can just force yourself to live with typing that password a little longer, you'll find you need it a lot less once everything's installed and you're mostly just using applications.

So, with that warning out of the way and against my best advice, to logon as root you must first set a password. Open up a console window and enter the following command:

Code:
        sudo passwd
        Answer the prompts with the password you want to use for root. Since that passwd command is running as root, it will set root's password, not your user password. Now, you should be able to logout and get back in as root.

Regarding your initial problem: It's probably a bug in systemsettings - I've run into several myself. Try this: open a console (as your normal user ID) and running "sudo systemsettings". This will start the settings app as root from the get-go. If the options are still greyed out, I suggest submitting a bug report for it.

I generally modify monitor and display settings by directly editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (back it up first!). I haven't found a graphical app that doesn't screw up one thing or another when they modify the settings.
        Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Working...
        X