This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failing to find entries, when going from Edgy to Feisty

When using the Adept package manager to upgrade from Edgy to Feisty, I've encountered an unusual error.

After going through the wizard and clicking "Finish," it sent me to the Distribution Upgrade window. It starts preparing the upgrade, then, at 99%, it shows an error message:

Error during update

A problem occurred during the update. This is usually some sort of network problem, please check your network connection and retry.

Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/...ercial/Release Unable to find expected entry maindeb/binary-i386/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
    My network seems to be operating perfectly, and I have no idea what to do from here. Thoughts? Questions?

Re: Failing to find entries, when going from Edgy to Feisty

I'm having the same problem...Does any one have an idea?

The only thing i can think of is server load, but I've been trying every hour for a couple of hours now and no success yet.
    Check out my website with Kubuntu how to's:  madberry.org

Comment

I fixed the problem myself. It seems as though, when I was installing Automatix, it messed with my source.list file, and it interfered with the updater.

What worked for me was, I went into Konsole and ran:

Code:
      kdesu kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list
      I made sure there were no formatting problems. Search the file for the word "maindeb" and insert a line break between "main" and "deb." Then save it and try again.

I'm telling you this from my slick new Feisty laptop.

Comment

Same Problem here, the error message I keep getting is:

Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...86/Packages.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

I'm wondering if Edgy is just not supported anymore. I'll post a new topic as well.

...and so, the frog hopped away and the princess wiped the frog-slime from her lips, THE END.

Comment

Originally posted by jonsem.phooey
          Same Problem here, the error message I keep getting is:

Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...86/Packages.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

I'm wondering if Edgy is just not supported anymore. I'll post a new topic as well.

Okay, looks like I get past the above problem if I comment out the universe/multiverse entries from apt/sources.list

However, before I take the plunge, I'll see if there is anything on the Gutsy Gibbon install forum about just upgrading straight to 7.10 from the CD rom.

...and so, the frog hopped away and the princess wiped the frog-slime from her lips, THE END.

Comment

Originally posted by Strikethrough
            I fixed the problem myself. It seems as though, when I was installing Automatix, it messed with my source.list file, and it interfered with the updater.
            Automatix+*ubuntu=problems! (read:messes up your sources.list file) If not immediately, eventually. Search this Forum on automatix and you will see.

Stick with Adept Manager and/or Synaptic package managers. Both are designed for debian based distributions and won't mess up your sources.list file.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X