This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herd 5 alternate partitioning fails completly

I just tried installing herd 5 using the alternate cd but couldn't get past the partition stage.

My drive has a win ntfs part, then a fat32 and then I had let the edgy install use the remaing space and it created a swap and /. I deleted these before trying herd 5 so there was just freespace at the end of the drive.

At the partitioning stage of the install I got 4 choices, the first was something about a cd? which I didn't understand then three 'guided' options, there was no manual option that I could see. I tried the 'guided use free space' option but it just goes to a red screen with a message about there being no root partition allocated. There are two buttons, continue and go back, IIRC. CLicking either just reloads the red warning screen so I had to restart and abandon install.

I can't see any mention of this problem either here or at ubuntuforums. I checked the md5sum of both the iso and the burnt cd and they were fine.

I was trying to install on my laptop (fujitsu-siemens pi1505) that has a sata disk but this wasn't a problem when I installed edgy.

Anybody else had this problem and should I post this as a bug?

Re: Herd 5 alternate partitioning fails completly

Yep.

On my system (Intel D975XBX main board), there is one IDE hard drive and 2 SATA hard drives, and it doesn't appear to make any difference how I set them in BIOS boot order, or even if I unplug the IDE drive entirely. The partitioner does not see a root partition, does not provide an opportunity to edit the existing partition table, and goes straight to the red screen you described. Yuck! >

Comment

I posted a bug report about the issue. bug number 89586.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/89586

Please add a comment if you are having the same problem.

Comment

I have the same problem with Compaq nx9420 and Herd 5. According to comments in bug number 89586 this is apparently fixed in the daily builds.

Comment

The Feisty Beta installer is WAY BETTER -- the fixed all the bugs that were affecting my system, although there may be some configurations that are still tricky. Throw that Herd 5 CD as far away as you can!

:-X

Comment

dibl: I'll try the Beta, however I won't be able to try the new partition tool since it is GUI only as I understand. My nx9420 has an ATI x1600 Mobility Radeon which isn't supported by the non-proprietary drivers :-(

On another note, Kubuntu 6.10 doesn't work either, the guided partition resizer fails and trying to use the manual partitioner also fails w/out an error message.

It was a long time since I had this much problems installing Linux on a computer which I didn't expect since HP claims it is compatible with SuSE and I've seen several posts claiming successful Ubuntu installs.

Comment

7.04 beta works!

Switching to 7.04 beta solved all problems. Sound, wired and wireless networking, quickkeys, bluetooth all seem to work out of the box.

The only thing not working out of the box is the graphics as expected. Default install is VESA 1280x1024, but http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide helps with instructions for insalling the ATI proprietary drivers.

Comment

Working...
              X