X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing Herd3, trouble partitioning

Hi there,

coming from some very old SuSe-installation I'm trying to install Herd3 from the graphical live-CD. But I can't install since partitioning makes troubles.

I've Windows on the same HD and want to install Linux additionally. Therefore I had to choose manual partitioning in step 6.
    At the first try the rest of the HD was free but I wasn't able to add more than two partitions. The HD already contained one primary and one extended partition with some logical ones for Windows. In the partitioner primary partition was preselected and greyed out, why doesn't it allow to add logic partitions?

On the second try I had partitioned and formated the free space using the Debian Sarge installer to circumvent the partition trouble on Herd. But now the installer doesn't even display the window where I could adjust the partitions. After that window where it detects the available partitions I only get an empty "Prepare partitions" window. I'd expect a summary which final layout will be used for installtion.
    Though not wanting to risk my Windows installation I was so bold to click on continue nevertheless. But that ended in a spinning cursor animation for over then minutes (then I resetted the system).

Some additional oddities:
    • In step 6 the window says "Prepare disk space" and "How do you want to partition the disk?" but nothing else for about 2 minutes (while disk activity). That's quite annoying, some kind of busybox would be nice here to indicate we're still on track.
    • The small window mentioned above that shows the partitions to be detected behaves odd. It lists /dev/hda1, ...hda5, ...hda6 a.s.o. and the continuation bar counts up to 100%. But then it starts over hd1, hda5 a.s.o and counts up to 100% again. Either the same task errornously is performed twice or the window is quite misleading.
    • In step 3 when setting up the time, the clock in the lower right corner shows the correct time. But the install panel showed a time one hour ahead though the time zone was correct (GMT+1). I guess the installer assume the clock currently is set to GMT. I think remembering the Debian installer asks the user about that and so should (K)ubuntu.
    • Step 5 also seems to contain a bug. Entering "admin" as username and trying to advance to the next step did nearly nothing. The nearly refers to "The" which was printed on install panel amidst the existing text. I finally figured that must mean something like "The username is forbidden" since it worked with another one. But I'd strongly recommend opening an alert with a better description instead of dropping one word at some strange place.

I'm currently about downloading the alternative installer for trying installation in text mode. But that will take some hours and I think the bug described above should be fixed nevertheless.

Regards,
    Robert

Re: installing Herd3, trouble partitioning

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=13420.0

Comment

Working...
    X