This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative Vision M

Wondering if anyone knows how to get the Creative Vision M working under Linux. Gnomad2 and KZenExplorer AND amaroK have all failed. Any ideas? The device is throwing a camera icon on the desktop?

Re: Creative Vision M

You can try this But it won't guarantee working with your player, but you will have the most up to date libmtp which will have a better chance of supoorting it. I did not see a hardware list, but I would guess that it is suported

Comment

I saw this before and am pretty new to linux so I was afraid to attempt it, as it could potentially ruin amarok?

So basically Amarok 1.4.4 does not have libmtp support?

Also, I noticed this is an i386 package. I'm also on 64.

Will future upgrades to amarok provide support for this library?

Thanks for replying by the way.

Comment

Well, it looks like you may be in luck. feisty's version of amarok is already mtp capable, so if you make sure that the libmtp2 package is installed, you will have all you need to get started in feisty

In Amarok,you probably need to add your player in the Media Devices section of Amarok's config settings, try autdetect, then make sure in the plugin section you specify mtp device

My mp3 player can be run as an mtp device (its a cheap sandisk that), but my feisty box has no front usb ports, and of course my cables are all too short so it isdifficult-ish to test out

Comment

yeah I've actually gone through all these steps. The library file is actual libnjb, and the libnjb website says that it supports the Creative Vision, but not the Creative Vision:M anywhere. A lot of people claim that they've gotten it working, but I cannot get mine to work. I've encountered another person who has the same error message as me, but I did not see a solution to that problem on the forum where he/she posted. The error is as follows...

KLibLoader could not load the plugin:
          libamarok_mtp-mediadevice
          Error message:
          libmtp.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Sorry I should have stated this earlier. Do you know how to diagnose it?

Lastly, the gnomad 2 website which i believe their team develops the libnjb library, it looks like it hasn't been updated since 2005, so I'm a bit doubtful.

Comment

no, the error is libmtp related, not libnjb. Note the error message you had.
            Libmtp is a library for microsoft's media tranfer protocol.

Looking at feisty's libmtp file list, it looks like Amarok is looking for /usr/lib/libmtp.so.2, whereas the libmtp2 package info in Adept lists it as being /usr/lib/libmtp.so.4. Looks like an there was a change in libmtp that Amarok did not pick up. (the file list on packages.ubuntu.com lists it as /usr/lib/libmtp.so.2 for some reason)

Easily fixed, though: we just need to create a symbolic link called libmtp.so.2 that points to libmtp.so.4

Code:
            sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libmtp.so.4 /usr/lib/libmtp.so.2
            Try that and see if that fixes it for you

Comment

This thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=gnomad) on the Ubuntu forums has helped me get gnomad2 working with my Creative Zen Vision:M. The thread listed earlier (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=316246) gets Amarok working but messes up gnomad. I can have one or the other, it seems.
              Linux user #387890

Comment

Working...
              X