This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get my system to recognize a second sata drive

I added a second sata drive to my system. I can see it in the BIOS and also in the Systems Settings as /dev/sdb1. It also shows "Mount point: n/a". I tried going into Administrator mode and adding a mountpoint, but it still would not mount. I'm guessing I need to do something in /etc/fstab but I'm not sure what. I've checked a couple of books, kubuntuguide.org and ubuntuguide.org and didn't see anything. Is this documented somewhere?

Re: How do I get my system to recognize a second sata drive

Settings > Advanced > Disk & Filesystems, admin mode:
    After adding the mount point, you might also click so any user can do anything at any time (drop-down option).
    Then
    OK
    and back out to Disk & Filesystems, and click
    Enable

A good mount point would be something like
    /media/sdb1

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, I'd tried something like that but guess I missed a step. What I hadn't done was to create a mount point in /media/ as you suggested. I suspect that would have done it.

After I made my post I kept on looking for a solution. I found this which also worked.

http://inconsequentialstuff.blogspot...e-on-edgy.html

Comment

mount point -- actually, you can create the mount point anywhere; e.g., in your personal home, if you wish. So the mount point didn't nix it; probably you may have forgotten to Enable.
        Glad you got it, set solidly in your fstab with permissions set right.
        Good show.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X