This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound... Except on Exit?

Okay, here is a really -REALLY- odd problem...

I just bought a new Lenovo Y410 laptop and everything in Kubuntu is working great (especially when I blew away Vista), except for the sound, as I am not getting anything. So I looked around and i found the following instructions:

http://linuxtechie.wordpress.com/200...work-in-gutsy/

These instructions seemed to have worked for others but it didn't seem to be working for me as I wasn't getting any sound. Until I decided that I was going to sleep and shut down Kubuntu when I heard the sound file that Kubuntu plays upon exit.

I've checked around and there seems to be an issue with ALSA and Intel's ICH8 family of sound cards, although some people have it working.

Here is some information system information:

uname -a:
    Linux finifly-laptop 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Fri Feb 1 04:59:50 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    lshw grep | Audio:
    description: Audio device
    product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
    Nothing is set to mute in KMix. I've also read that this 'No Sound' bug is supposed to be fixed in Hardy.

My guess is something is tying up ALSA and preventing me from hearing any sound until I shut down. Can someone help me with this?
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Re: No Sound... Except on Exit? [SOLVED]

Okay, turns out that this should have been under Gutsy and not Feisty.

So the next couple of times I booted Kubuntu, I got no sound whatsoever. A bit more searching and I found a suggestions in this forum to add the following to the kernel line of /boot/grub/menu.lst:

apci=off
    Eh, voila! I can hear everything, which makes me happy!
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Re: No Sound... Except on Exit? [SOLVED]

Just an update,

This isn't the most elegant solution as I get feedback while booting that there are bios errors. Also this will only get sound out of the speakers and not out of the headphone jack.

I'm hoping that there is an update in ALSA soon so i can stop using this fix.

Comment

Re: No Sound... Except on Exit?

I'm opening this up again, because the acpi=off is not a great solution. Also I have discovered the following:

When I boot up, no sound. I suspend my laptop and then after un-suspending it I have sound. Everything except the microphone works. Any thoughts?

Comment

Re: No Sound... Except on Exit?

finifly

check my answer to this post:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091141.0

It might be this simple?

God Bless
          Doug
          Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Comment

Working...
          X