This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epson USB scanner installation

I'm running Feisty and have been trying to get my Epson Perfection 1670 scanner working. I've been running Linux well over a year, but consider myself a noob. I've downloaded and installed all the libusb, SANE, libsane files I can find. This scanner is officially supported by the backend.

I was on a quest to get this scanner working (it does work in windows) a few months ago, but gave up in favor of more pressing time commitments. Then one day I opened Kooka just for kicks, and SURPRISE there was my scanner. I ran a couple of test scans but didn't really need to scan anything at the time, so I just smiled at unexpected fortune and forgot about it for a time. A few days ago I did have a need to do some serious scanning but found that my scanner wouldn't work. Kooka says I don't have a valid SANE installation, a couple of other apps offer the 'invalid argument' excuse. I did some reading but got nowhere with my attempts.

After exhausting myself over this, I casually opened Kooka and there it was again! Scanner recognized and ready to go. I did a preview scan which seemed to work okay and returned an image. Clicked full scan and got no response except that the green light on my scanner changed to blinking red. Since then, I've moved it to a different USB port, rebooted, etc. and sometimes it is recognized and will do a preview. When it is not recognized by the frontend, the green light goes out or sometimes changes to the blinking red. Killing the scanner app returns the light to normal.

I'm hoping someone out there can make enough sense of this information to help diagnose the problem. It seems that there is some valid communication going on intermittently. Please be gentle with your suggestions and questions... there's a lot I don't know and I'm very green with the terminal.

Re: Epson USB scanner installation

Double ?:

Topic: Walking on the edge... need some assistance Please.
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090448.0
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Epson USB scanner installation

If this[ does not help you, you may have a bad kernel bug involving USB_SUSPEND and various usb devices.. My bug report on this has become rather lengthy, but there is a posting with a useable workaround for this problem here Full thread is here.

This problem is only on Feisty, it is fine in Gutsy and Dapper

Comment

Working...
      X