This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Files deleted on Windows don't free disk space on Linux

Today I found a strange problem with my external usb HD.
    I deleted some files from it while I was working on winXP and of course is shows more free space.
    Then reboot and boot Kubuntu, and it seems the space was not free.
    Do you think windows and linux markers for files to be considered 'free' are different?
    From Kubuntu (both Feisty and Dapper) it seems 100% disk space is used, while from window it shows more than 30GB of free space.
    The strange thing I noticed is that running "du" and "df" I obtain different informations:

$ du -s -h /media/usbdisk/
    73G /media/usbdisk/

$ df -h
    /dev/sdb1 112G 112G 283M 100% /media/usbdisk

How do you explain it? From windows I obtain the same results of "du".
    But I can't write on my disk from Linux, as it says it's full!

How can I solve it? I need to use it on linux.

thanks for help

Re: Files deleted on Windows don't free disk space on Linux

Access the external USB HD from within Linux. Does it have a Trash Bin? If it does, is it empty? If it isn't, empty it. Check free space again.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I noticed this before. I am not sure if it is a bug or not (if it turns out so, please report it).

You might try to look for a folder called ".trash/" (it's hidden, so enable hidden folders in the View menu).
      You can prevent this from happening by deleting files using SHIFT+DELETE rather than DELETE.
      Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

I've already checked the .trash folder.
        It was empty! I deleted it anyway.....

I made a scan also with baobab, and it say I'm using 73GB, but the response of "df" is still the same: 112GB!!

do you have suggestions?

Comment

Windows has it's own trash directory (normally "C:\Windows", *shrugs*)
          But anyways... Windows moves deleted files to "/RECYCLER". Run "rm -R RECYCLER" from the directory of your USB drive.
          If you're going to use this drive in windows, I suggest you disable the recycler for this drive. This setting(in Windows) can be accessed by right clicking on the Recycling Bin, clicking Properties, then going to the USB drives tab and disabling the recycler.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X