This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard Problems Following Update

Running Feisty (AMD Athlon 64 on Efficient PC)

Yesterday I updated from the Adept repositories, and keyboard stopped working properly. Can't type letter 'i', spacebar, backspace, indeed anything other than letters. PC effectively unusable now.

Most of the updates (about seven) seemed to relate to Battle for Wesnoth packages.

Re: Keyboard Problems Following Update

Open a terminal and copy and paste the following command into it:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Answer all the questions as best you can, choosing the default answer for anything you don't know; just make sure to select the correct keyboard layout for your setup.

I'm guessing the problem is just that somehow your keyboard layout was changed to another during the upgrade process, and the above command should help you correct the issue. Let me know how it goes
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I tried this, but wasn't able to paste the command into a terminal, and obviously can't type this command into a terminal as I don't currently have space, backspace or letter 'i'. I'm currently downloading Knoppix on another machine and will try to use the Knoppix utilities.

I will also try a clean Gutsy install when the disks arrive.

Any ideas welcome!

Comment

You can highlight the command, right-click it with your mouse, and choose "Copy", then right-click a terminal window and select "Paste"; that usually works for me anyway

Any Live CD should give you access to your computer. You could probably even transfer the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the Kubuntu Live CD to your /etc/X11/ directory, and reboot to your Kubuntu partition - if it works on the Live CD, it should work on your hard drive.

You can also copy and paste the following command into a terminal window, and post the results here where I can analyze your config and help you sort out the errors:
        Code:
        cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        It's all up to you, though, so I'm good with whatever you decide.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X