This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kodak 5100 Support

I just got a Kodak Easy Share 5100 and I am wondering how do I get to work in Kubuntu. I am currently running Feisty Fawn and plan on upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon in the near future.

I have already complained to Kodak for not supporting their Unix or Linux user base with source based drivers. >

Re: Kodak 5100 Support

After much useless e-mail traffic between myself and Kodak, we managed to come to a resolution. I tell them to take their useless All-in-One printer back and that I'll support HP instead. I upgraded to Gutsy this morning, hooked up my HP All-in-One printer (Photosmart C4200), ran the new printer wizard through system utl menu and surprise, surprise, my printer works! It scans, it prints high quality photos, and can copy and fax too! I'm so happy.

I'm also sad that Kodak doesn't want to support something other than Windows and Mac. Not only are they denying general Linux/Unix users, but the corporate Linux/Unix user base. Don't companies like money? Guess not Kodak.

Comment

Manufacturers do respect their bottom line, which is the amount of $$$ they take in on product sales. They also tend to listen to customers who contact them with polite messages, informing them that they have switched to a competitors brands, because the competitor's brands have support for Linux and their's do not. But until enough of these messages are sent, the manufacturer is not likely to begin looking at making their products "Linux friendly."
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What was funny to me is the fact that the support person from Kodak informed me that many people have complained about it. I did inform them that I went with HP and it worked out of the box. Oh well, maybe some day they'll get the hint.

Comment

I got one of these for my birthday in Feb it has been ok with Win XP but after a major crash problem I managed to loose my win xp partition and the reboot partition so I now have a complete Kubuntu system (and no files or photos - 10 years worth lost ) The long and short of it is that I can no longer use this printer so it's going back tomorrow in favour of an Epson which has Linux drivers listed at it's website
          Kubuntu 7.10<br />Desperate for KDE4

Comment

Working...
          X