X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade Problem From Athlon 2200 to Athlon 2800; Won't Boot; Please help

Hello;

I'm trying to install an eBay-purchased Athlon 2800 CPU onto my A7N8X Deluxe mobo. After install, the system won't boot at all. I don't even get the "everything-is-okay-and-I'm-going-to-boot-now beep." Is the CPU dead or am I doing something wrong? Surely the new CPU can run slower (use the BIOS settings) of my old 2200. I've tried 3 times now and I get the same results every time.

Mark
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: Upgrade Problem From Athlon 2200 to Athlon 2800; Won't Boot; Please help

Most newer mainboards (for amd xp and up) have a bios that automatically adjusts for a new CPU. It could be that the FSB(front side bus) is not compatible with your newer CPU. Check the FSB on the chip and, compare it to the mainboards FSB. If that is not the problem then check for bent pins on the CPU. Other than that I would say the CPU is Fried. Buying CPU's off Ebay is not always a good deal. Try www.pricewatch.com for some good deals.

Comment

Re: Upgrade Problem From Athlon 2200 to Athlon 2800; Won't Boot; Please help

Yep, I think I've learned my lesson. I also can't believe I posted this issue twice. Maybe my CPU is getting old. Thanks again.

Mark
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
      X