Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about nVidia Settings and screen scaling...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about nVidia Settings and screen scaling...

OK, first of all, this might actually belong in software support or something. If so, I apologize. I'm posting it here to hardware support because it has at least a little something to do with my graphics card.

So here's my issue... I had some difficulty getting my nVidia graphics card to work properly because Adept kept installing the old drivers (nvidia-glx) rather than the new drivers (nvidia-glx-new). I eventually got it all set up and working by using the Envy script, which is an awesome tool and I'm very grateful for the work that was put into it. But now, I'm trying to get it so that I run my system at 1280x960 (1.33333:1 aspect ratio) on my 17inch LCD monitor that uses 1280x1024 native (1.25:1 aspect ratio). I've never liked 1280x1024 and have never understood why it has become a "standard" screen resolution when it is the *only* screen resolution that's 1.25:1, but that's another issue. Anyway, I can use nvidia-settings under the GPU section to "Force Full GPU Scaling" and set it to "Aspect Ratio Scaled" which correctly sets my screen resolution at 1280x960 with two black bars (at top and bottom) where the other 64 pixels of the monitor itself are unused (which is exactly what I want). The problem is, when I reboot the system for any reason (such as when I want to boot into my WindowsXP installation and then I come back to the Kubuntu installation), in order to get it to properly setup the screen I have to run nvidia-settings every time I reboot or restart the xserver.

So what I want to know is: is there a way to force the system to automatically run nvidia-settings as soon as xserver is started, or at the least as soon as kde is started? In windows I would just put a batch file or a shortcut to nvidia-settings in my startup folder and it would be as simple as that... is there something similar to the windows startup folder for linux somewhere, or some sort of file that lists commands to be executed at startup?

Thanks for any help,
    Drake

P.S. If this should be posted elsewhere, then I request that a moderator please move it to where it belongs... thanks.

Re: Question about nVidia Settings and screen scaling...

when you change your configuration with nvidia-settings,
    do you save it to the X configuration file?

the X server configuration file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    if changes aren't written in there, they won't be available after a reboot.

if this isn't it, then i don't know what might cause your issue.

hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I do save it to the x configuration file, and the changes I made from a 1024x768 screen resolution to a 1280x960 screen resolution have been saved and do carry over from each rebott, it's only the scaling that seems to not work. And the strange thing is, I don't have to change the scaling again in nvidia-settings either, I only have to *launch* nvidia-settings and it automatically applies the scaling. So really I think all I need is to be able to have the system auto-launch the nvidia-settings program at startup, but I don't know how to do this.

Drake

Comment

i see.

yeah, kde too has autostart capabilities.

very easy:
        - open up konqueror (or dolphin, or...) and navigate to your home folder
        - click on view and select "show hidden files"
        - look for a folder named ".kde" and open it
        - look for a folder named "Autostart" and open it
        - click on the k menu icon and navigate to "System"
        - drag the icon for "nvidia-settings" into the konqueror window
        - select "copy here" when prompted

that's it.
        at log in, your nvidia-settings will be autostarted.

hth
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Working...
        X