This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change CPU

Hi, my question is could i can change my CPU to another one without reinstall the system?

Re: Change CPU

Yes, changing over your CPU will not affect your OS as Linux is 'plug & play' so will detect the change automatically. As CPUs do not need separate software drivers when they are installed, there will be no need to re-install your OS or software.

Just make sure that your current motherboard supports the new chip. You may find you need to upgrade the BIOS if its a major upgrade as the standard motherboard BIOS is often not up to date enough to recognise new processors.

I suggest: Install the new CPU, enter the BIOS and see if the new CPU is listed. If the CPU is not listed, you may have to install a version of windows and use the motherboard manufacturers 'Flash' system to update the BIOS.

give us a shout if you need any help
    Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Uber Nooblett

If the CPU is not listed, you may have to install a version of windows and use the motherboard manufacturers 'Flash' system to update the BIOS.
      If you have (or can get your hands on) an old hard drive just to support this project, I would set up Windows on it and do the BIOS flash update first -- there's no downside and you really don't want to set yourself up to have to install the CPU twice if you can help it. With their thermal paste and fancy heatsink contraptions, (depending on the CPU model) it's not an operation that you want to put your hardware through more times than required.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Originally posted by Uber Nooblett

If the CPU is not listed, you may have to install a version of windows and use the motherboard manufacturers 'Flash' system to update the BIOS.
        you really don't want to set yourself up to have to install the CPU twice if you can help it
        I agree, its not a good idea to install the CPU twice, but you should be ok to install the new CPU before the flash update (in most cases). As long as the motherboard is listed to support the processor being updated to, it will appear and function in the BIOS, but as an 'Unknown .... Processor'. Though functions and clock speed will be set to auto, the processor will still function fine, but will simply not be recognized as a CPU which the mobo is familiar with. This means that the more advanced features of the processor may be unavailable, however it will otherwise be fully functional.

On reflection though, even though I had no issues myself flashing after upgrade, I would, as Dibl suggested, Flash the BIOS first, just to be on the safe side
        Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

So quickly...thanks...i want to cnange my celeron 500 socket 370 to 800 clock about. And if i'll have somd troubles,would can i back old CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by corban dallas
            i want to cnange my celeron 500 socket 370 to 800 clock about.
            What brand and model is your motherboard? I had a problem earlier this year with a Celeron-to-motherboard compatibility issue -- all Celerons are not created equal!

Comment

i think so, if i decide to make that, i'll need looking for new BIOS for new CPU, and rerecord a chip.......

info about my system i send some time later.....
              one way question. I have dimm memory is quantity 256 mb on each from both,. i was hear then some motherbords don't suppurt dimm memory with ic on each other side. My motherbord say me about 128 mb only! is it problem or..................................

Comment

It's not possible to answer without the EXACT model and serial number of the motherboard, and the specs for it. You need to research the specs very carefully, to see that the DIMMs will be addressed correctly, and that it will support the faster CPU on the bus.

I got into to trouble a few months ago mounting a Celeron D on a replacement motherboard for a family member's Gateway PC that got hit with a power sag. The new motherboard was the same make and model as the one that blew, but after RMA'ing 2 motherboards that failed to POST with the Celeron D mounted, I did some research on the chipset and learned that only motherboard serial numbers after ...xyx for that particular model would support a Celeron D. In other words, you have to be very careful with the compatibility information, and make sure it says what you think it says.

Comment

I've got some risk with this, but i've one way!so, my motherboard is ACORP 6ZX85, SOCKET 370.

Comment

And more, are there some specific flags and capabilities will not work in the installed compiled programs by old CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by corban dallas
                      And more, are there some specific flags and capabilities will not work in the installed compiled programs by old CPU?
                      This is true, but only for programs you compiled from source.
                      For external use only.

Comment

I try to install a programs from sources for best capability programs. And so, i'll need to find list support new CPU by my motherboard?

Comment

Hi, so, i can't any info about list of support CPUs by my motherbord. Whether i can install Celeron 850, for example?is one works high-grade?

Comment

...can't find...

Comment

Here's all I could find about it, if it's the same board:

http://www.fi.ru/warehouse/DRIVERS/M.../zx85/p6-2.pdf

Not very inspiring -- appears to max out at 512MB RAM, and the top FSB speed is 133. I would not spend money on a new CPU for it unless you are prepared to also buy a replacement motherboard in the (likely) case that it won't POST with the new CPU.

Comment

Working...
                              X