This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7600Gt nvidia card drivers

I've tried Envy and had no success with installing the nvidia drivers. Every time I reboot the Xserver crashes. Similarly if I use the settings item to use the proprietory drivers.

Has anyone had any success ur can help me with installation.

As it is with the nv driver Googleearth doesn't work. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Mike.

Re: 7600Gt nvidia card drivers

Next time X crashes (on start), switch to a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in, execute "startx", and see what it says.
    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by mudlark

I've tried Envy and had no success with installing the nvidia drivers. Every time I reboot the Xserver crashes.
      If you downloaded and installed Envy recently, it should have automatically pulled in the supporting packages that it needed -- did you notice any issues during the Envy installation?

If it seemed that Envy installed correctly (i.e. you have a nice purple and green Envy icon in your System menu), then I recommend you try running it in text mode. Do this:

Ctrl-Alt-F1, and login, then

Code:
      sudo envy -t
      At the end of the script, follow the default to restart the X server.

Any different result?

Comment

Thanks folks,

I've now tried both suggestions. The Xserver is still crashing and the error message is

failed to load the nvidia kernel module - invalid module format.

Can you help with this error?

Mike.

Comment

There's an xorg log file, if I'm remembering correctly it is /var/logs/Xorg.0.log

At the end of that file is the last messages before it crashed. If you post them, it might give us a clue, or it might just show the "invalid module format" message. Maybe one of the gurus knows exactly what that means -- I don't. You might try a Google search on "nvidia invalid module format", and see if anything worthwhile turns up.

Comment

/var/log/Xorg.0.log is what you want.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by mudlark
              Thanks folks,

I've now tried both suggestions. The Xserver is still crashing and the error message is

failed to load the nvidia kernel module - invalid module format.

Can you help with this error?

Mike.
              If you execute "sudo modprobe nvidia", that should tell you exactly why it's not working.
              For external use only.

Comment

I tried to use the nvidia installation script again

sudo bash NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run

and then

sudo nvidia-xconfig

and it seems to work this time....

i've booted several times and googleearth is working again.

thanks for the help,

mike.

Comment

I want to thank all who contributed to this thread. By telling me about "Envy", i was finally able to get my nvidia drivers installed successfully, and my GoogleEarth now works great. I tried unsuccessfully to install it several times previously in both kubuntu 32-bit and 64-bit. Now it works in both. Thanks again!
                  AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

Give credit to the 'student' too, as if you aren't cabable of critical listening, all the expertise/experience of the 'teachers' won't do much good!
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For the sake of completeness I would have posted the log but it appears to have been overwritten after my success!

Also using modprobe didn't work as I had recovered the xorgconf file which doesn't have the nvidia driver, but the nv driver.

I am a bit worried about trying to recreate the problems, so please excuse me not doing so!

Thanks again for the help I received.

Mike.

Comment

Re: 7600Gt nvidia card drivers - dual display

Just a bit more info for learners like me.

I use my machine for a living room media device. Now that I have got the Nvidia drivers working I am able to connect it to my Sony TV via an HDMI connection. (DVI to HDMI adapter on computer plus HDMI cable) The results seem very good. All I need now is an HD source!!

The nv drivers always crashed before, but the Nvidia drivers recognise the tv fine. I'm still fine tuning the system as the TV is widescreen and the main monitor is analogue 4:3 LCD.

Comment

Working...
                        X