X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia drivers with GeForce 7600 GT

Hi

I've installed the Nvidia-glx drivers, and when I did the reset in the Xserver, the screen stayed black, and now, when I try to start linux I see the Kubuntu logo, and the just stays black, and nothing happens...

What can I do? I just can see everything in recovery mode..

Re: Nvidia drivers with GeForce 7600 GT

Next time that happens, hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a terminal. Log in, execute "startx", and see what it says.
    For external use only.

Comment

It says that there is a fatal error, and there are no devices detected..

And it says "Connection Reset by Peer"

Comment

Problem #1 is, nvidia-glx is version -9639 of their driver, and your 7600GT is supported by their newest driver -100.14.11, which is a better driver.

So, either in Recovery Mode, or otherwise at a command line prompt, give it
        Code:
        sudo apt-get remove nvidia-glx
        then
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
        When it appears to have completed the installation, just stay at the command line and enter
        Code:
        sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
        (I assume you're heading toward Beryl or Compiz-Fusion). This will write the xorg.conf file for you.

Now, since I don't know whether you were in a console window or a true console, just
        Code:
        sudo shutdown now -r
        to reboot your system, and let's see what you have upon starting up again.

Comment

Well, I can start Linux now..

But still I can't change my resolution

Comment

Yes you can!

OK, if you're seeing the green Nvidia splash screen, right before you log in, then the driver is installed and working correctly.

That being the case, here's how to set your default screen resolution. Open the Konsole and enter
            Code:
            sudo nvidia-settings
            This will open the Nvidia driver utility. Click the tab named "X Server Display Configuration". If you want, click "detect displays" first, then set the resolution to the one you want for the default. I usually leave refresh on "Auto". Now click the button in the lower right of the screen that says "Save to X Configuration File". That will write it into the xorg.conf file.

That's it. If you want to test it, do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the x server.

Comment

Thanks mate

It worked

Comment

Enjoy your new system!

Comment

I have a question, I installed the NVIDIA driver through Envy, now, if I check what nvidia related packages are installed, I will get the nvidia-glx-new listed. My question is, if an important update (kernel) gets available do I have to uninstall Envy and reinstall it again or just uninstall everything and install nvidia-glx-new to avoid that my X crash?

Regards,

MepisReign
                  Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Here's the command you need to memorize:
                    Code:
                    sudo envy -t
                    Because YES, a kernel upgrade will break your driver installation, and you will boot to a text prompt. But, if you remember that command, it will run Envy in text mode and put you right back in business.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      Yes you can!

OK, if you're seeing the green Nvidia splash screen, right before you log in, then the driver is installed and working correctly.

That being the case, here's how to set your default screen resolution. Open the Konsole and enter
                      Code:
                      sudo nvidia-settings
                      This will open the Nvidia driver utility. Click the tab named "X Server Display Configuration". If you want, click "detect displays" first, then set the resolution to the one you want for the default. I usually leave refresh on "Auto". Now click the button in the lower right of the screen that says "Save to X Configuration File". That will write it into the xorg.conf file.

That's it. If you want to test it, do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the x server.

I got this problem, http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086305.0. A little bit related to the problem forbid had.
                      As u say, the resolution can be changed. But after reboot or a restart of the X-server the settings are gone.

The command line
                      Code:
                      sudo envy -t
                      is useful, because I have destroyed drivers and settings for several days now.

Good to hear that you could fix it Forbid.
                      Any ideas what I should do?

Comment

Working...
                      X