This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB drive mount failure code 32

I have a usb drive I use with my main feisty system. It won't mount either from Konsole (no error message but no mount either) or from System Settings Disks&Filesystems.
    In System Settings, I see the drive (sdb1) but I can't enable it in Administrator Mode.

I get the message

An error occurred while enabling <mount point>
    system reported mount: special device <device> does not exist

The drive mounts fine on my other feisty system

I think something must be corrupted somewhere but not sure where to look

Here's my /etc/fstab/ if that helps

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/hdb1
    UUID=42e486c4-f9d4-4e38-871b-1d292a0f06e3 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
    # /dev/hdb5
    UUID=0629836e-d292-471d-930c-a5e25ea50e5b none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 auto users,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
    /dev/ /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 auto users,atime,auto,ro,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    <device> <mount\040point> auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    stuff <mount\040point> auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    <device> aarons auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    mk402 <mount\040point> auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 <mount\040point> auto owner,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    /dev/sdb2 <mount\040point> auto user,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    <device> disk auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    <device> <mount\040point> auto users,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

Re: USB drive mount failure code 32

Umm... I'd hazard a guess that you either upgraded recently or upgraded and didn't notice this before now. That or used Disk & Filesystems too much or you're using Automatix. All have been known to kill fstabs.

Anyway, your fstab is a mess, though it's easy to clean. First thing to do is remove all the lines starting with "<device> <mount\040point>", i.e. lines 12, 18, 20, and 21. Take them right out. (Line numbers after this refer to lines after taking these four out.)
    Next thing is to fix the lines that don't make sense. Change the beginning of line 10 to "/dev/fd0" from just "/dev/".
    Next is line 12. There is an invalid device node. You need to specify something like /dev/sdc1. It also needs a mount point, e.g. /media/stuff. (Make sure you create /media/stuff, though.)
    Line 13 has the same problem. It needs a device node and a good mount point, e.g. /media/aarons.
    Line 14, same thing.
    Lines 15 and 16 need a mount point. That's all.
    Line 17 needs a device node and a mount point. While /media/disk would do, it's a mount point used by the system. Pick something more descriptive.
    For external use only.

Comment

So, I plugged in a flash drive and my usb drive and rebooted. My usbdrive mounted just fine (as sda) and my flash drive didn't (as sdb) still don't know what's the problem but it's something about sdb

Comment

In addition to what SheeEttin advised, you may kick out the two lines referring to /dev/sdb* just as well

Comment

Thanks all it worked

Comment

Working...
          X