This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xorg.conf gets replaced at boot

I have a working xorg.conf with nvidia drivers and twinview for my 8600GT and dual LCD monitors. Whenever I restart my computer, xorg.conf gets replaced with some generic configuration that doesn't work on my computer. The only way to get video on my monitors is to SSH in, replace xorg.conf with xorg.conf.working (this is my personal backup file) and restart KDM. Things work great until I restart again at which time xorg.conf gets replaced again. Is there something I'm missing that should be preventing this?

Re: xorg.conf gets replaced at boot

That shouldn't be happening at all.

First thing is to do is to check your logs for warnings and errors. Post the result of "grep WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log && grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log".
    For external use only.

Comment

Here are the results:

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
      (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
      (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
      (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

Comment

Hi there,

I had a similar problem: I tried to use a data projector, and booted the computer with a video cable attached to the data projector. Catastrophe ... no display, and certainly no image on the data projector ... public shame! The only way out of this was to dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to restore my display.

Is there any way to "protect" the xorg.conf file so that doesn't happen again?

Thanks,

Comment

Yeah, that's what I need to know - how do I protect xorg.conf so it doesn't get replaced?

Comment

Well... I guess you could "sudo chmod a-w /etc/X11/xorg.conf" to make it read-only to everyone. Of course, the system may override this and write to it anyway (in the end, nothing can stop root).

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what to tell you. There's no real way to make it really read-only (well, I guess you could put it on another partition and make the partition mounted read-only, but that's not a great idea).
            For external use only.

Comment

Thanks SheeEttin. Looks like there isn't a silver bullet for this one. Any other creative ideas?

Comment

Well, if that didn't work, the read-only partition is the only solution short of reinstalling Kubuntu. That'd certainly fix it, but you'd lose everything else. (You could back up your home folder, though.)
                For external use only.

Comment

Well, I can try that but this is a practically clean (week or two old) install of Kubuntu so a fresh install will most likely do the same thing.

Comment

Actually, something probably got misconfigured somehow.

If you don't mind reinstalling, that's what I'd suggest.
                    For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                    X