This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera as Flash Drive - Problem

I have a Fujifilm S5100 digital camera, and like to use it as a flash drive for transferring files from one computer to another. This works great in Windows, but it seems that in Kubuntu, it only works at some times, and not at others - more often it doesn't. The file shows that it is on the camera, but when I unmount it and mount it again, the file is usually gone. Anyone know why?

Re: Camera as Flash Drive - Problem

I don't know, but sometimes in Konqueror, things I think I lost show up if I check the "Show Hidden Files" option.

As a side note, I bought a 1GB flash drive at Walmart the other day for $19.95. Memorex brand, works great in Kubuntu and Windows.

Comment

Only thing I can think of is that you need to make sure that you unmount it properly (right-click and choose "Safely Remove"), otherwise the buffers/cache can sometimes not be written to the device.

Comment

Detonate, that doesn't make sense - doesn't "Show Hidden Files" just reveal files whose names start with a .period? And I'll have to look into buying a flash drive sometime, but for now, the camera works fine (except for this problem) .

And JamesM, I guess there's no real foolproof way to test whether you're right (because you can't really know whether a file wouldn't have been written if it already has), but it seems that could be the problem. Thanks, and I'll try that next time I write a file to the camera.

Comment

Yep. You're right. JamesM's answer is probably correct.

Comment

Working...
          X