This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice

I'm reposting my message because I really could use any kind of advice on a fix. Right now I can't do much with my computer. I tried using the rescue mode on the alternate install cd and removed kubuntu-desktop and then re-installed it to see if that would help and there was no change. I'm not sure what to try next other than to remove the entire os from my computer and start from scratch which I'm not quite sure how to do either and it seems that there should be some other option. Anyways, I could use any sort of advice right now as I don't know what to do next.

[original post]
    I lost sound on my system and my ability to connect to the internet via my ethernet card and my wifi card after trying to get beryl to work with xgl. The problem started when I copied beryl-xgl from the beryl package as shown on this http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:F...eryl_.28ATI.29 tutorial and ran it. My system froze completely and I was forced to turn my computer off. When it started back up my sound wasn't working although kmix was still available. Also, both my ethernet card and my wireless card stopped working. The system is detecting eth0 which is my ethernet card, but it won't connect, and my wireless eth1 isn't being detected at all that I can tell.

How can so many components in a system get jacked up so easily? Anyway, is there a way to re-install this stuff. The read out from lspci shows both my wireless card and ethernet card. the read out from dmesg however doesn't show any alsa stuff or any other sound stuff that I can tell, and doesn't show my wireless card being started. I don't know if this helps or not. I can post the results if they are helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Sean

Re: Need some advice

OK, you asked for advice, so ...

(1) If you have your data backed up, it sounds like your system is sufficiently snarfed up that a fresh installation of the OS might be the quickest path to happiness. With sound and TCP/IP both gone, it sounds like things went very wrong, somehow.

(2) When you're ready to try Beryl again, simply use Adept Manager and choose the Beryl and Beryl Manager packages from the repository. But I congratulate you on taking the initiative to research the wiki and try to help yourself -- that's good.

(3) I don't think any OS can really be guaranteed to withstand any download and subsequent command that you choose inflict on it -- it would be nice if computers were truly immune to such risks, but if you are using the Super User power, you might succeed in doing fatal damage.

I hope this helps you!

Comment

Re: Need some advice

Instead of using the XGL with ati you could use this how to and use AIGLX:

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_fei...ryl_ati_radeon

You'll have to take note that is for Ubuntu so you'll need to change "gedit" to "kwrite". But it should at least get you playing with the eye candy of beryl. Also you'll need to remove the fglrx driver and use the open source driver. You'll take a performance hit on the card but it shouldn't be that bad if you really want Beryl and the eye candy.

I also would say go ahead and do a fresh install first.

Comment

Working...
      X