This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static-like sound with Envy24

Hello, I'm running Feisty Fawn on an AMD64 system (64-bit build as well). I've been having an intermittent issue with my sound quality.

The sound chip is a VIA Envy24 type on a Shuttle SN25P based system. Unfortunately there's not much I can do to change the sound hardware since it's integrated into the board and unless someone's come out with a PCI-Ex1 slot sound card in the past few months there's no expansion room.

Most of the time my sound quality is just fine, comes through all 5.1 of my speakers nice and crystal clear. Sometimes it goes static-like in some programs for no apparent reason though. Example: I and my wife use Amarok for playing MP3s. Most of the time it sounds great. Now I just booted it up and every sound file is all static-like and to be blunt rather ****py. I fire up the MP3 in Kaffeine (64-bit) and it sounds flawless. I open ANY MP3 in VLC (again, installed from the 64-bit medibuntu repositories) and it sounds VERY bad.

Here's the kicker. Movies and such sound perfect. Games from what I can tell (I'm using Doom 3 as my test, all patched up) run fine though every once in awhile it starts up with no sound. If I restart it as root and go back to a regular user that usually fixes it. I never installed any additional codec support like WMV9 or anything for Kaffeine but somehow after installing VLC to do that Kaffeine does it all, now.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone could help me out here. Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.

UPDATE: With some more experimentation I've discovered that ANYTHING opened with VLC, from movies to sound files, has a pop and crack sound, nice and ****ty. Kaffeine suffers no such issues. Amarok still has the problem but not as bad as VLC. I never installed any extra codecs for Kaffeine, just installed VLC and then it magickally worked for everything VLC supports. I'm pretty confused now so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. It also will sometimes do the poor sound in Doom 3 as well.

I try to set the timing back to 44100 from 48000 but every once in awhile it jumps back.
    Just a fox, a whisper.

Re: Static-like sound with Envy24

Found this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=1#post2698369

Going to try out the fix tomorrow, sounds (heh heh, a pun! Damn I'm terrible) like this could be the problem.
    Just a fox, a whisper.

Comment

Re: Static-like sound with Envy24

Well, I tried forcing it and unfortunately it doesn't seem to totally fix the problem. Better, yes, but not completely fixed. Oh well, anyone else got any ideas? Currently I have to leave the PCM volume down to about 70% or else I hear the crackling easily.

Interestingly enough it's ONLY in the bass range, we never hear any crackling in the treble.
      Just a fox, a whisper.

Comment

Working...
      X