Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 7.04+Creative Labs. Xmod=WORKS !!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.04+Creative Labs. Xmod=WORKS !!!

Hello everybody.

I would like to share my experiences with Creative's Xmod under Kubuntu 7.04. I spent ~2 weeks till I got it working properly and maybe my experience will help someone.

Intro:

1. HW - HP Compaq nc6400.
    2. SW - Kubuntu 7.04 (upgraded from 6.10).
    3. Creative Labs. Xmod external USB sound card:
    http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=15913

Note: you'll find the "X-fi" on the soundcard - ignore that. This is Xmod, not the real X-fi, which is different product from Creative.

In general the Xmod is an USB sound card so you need the "snd_usb_audio". Check with "lsmod" if it's loaded, if not - make necessary changes to load that kernel module.

Plug the Xmod in and check if ALSA recognizes the card:

Code:
    asoundconf list
    You should see "Xmod" in the output.

At this point I got partially working Xmod - Xmod's knob was controlling the sound of built in card, so I started look at the solution of this problem.

I found the "asoundconf set-default-card <card name>" command which didn't work. Then I found information in the intenet (don't remember where) that it is necessary to make USB sound card first on the boot in order to get it working properly. To do that you have to edit the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base (don't forget to make the backup of this file first !!!!), change this

Code:
    options snd-usb-audio index=-2
    to this

Code:
    options snd-usb-audio index=0
    Restart and you should get Xmod working fully and properly. Good luck to everyone who is trying to get Xmod working.

Best regards,
    ArtBar

Re: Kubuntu 7.04+Creative Labs. Xmod. One more question

Hi everyone.

I just noticed one thing - if I pull out and the plug in the Xmod then I have to restart KMix in order to get it working properly. Can the KMix automaticaly handle the list of sound cards available ?

Regards,
    ArtBar

Comment

Working...
    X