This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Cards but No Sound

after the upgrade to feisty, i tried to switch from my motherboards sound card to my soundblaster live 24bit card

however, i am now stuck with no cards

i tried to follow the guide at http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Compre...olutions_Guide

but when i run sudo modprobe snd-ca0106, i get the following error

FATAL: Module snd_ca0106 not found

when i do

cd /usr/src
    sudo tar xjvf alsa-driver.tar.bz2
    cd modules/alsa-driver
    sudo ./configure --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r) --with-cards=ca0106 --with-oss=yes
    sudo make
    sudo make install

the following error occurs when i sudo make

make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-15-386 SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver CPP="gcc -E" CC="gcc" modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-15-386'
    CC [M] /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.o
    In file included from /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.c:1:
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.inc:1:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.inc:13,
    from /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.c:1:
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:742: error: redefinition of ‘jiffies_to_msecs’
    include/linux/jiffies.h:268: error: previous definition of ‘jiffies_to_msecs’ was here
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:761: error: redefinition of ‘msecs_to_jiffies’
    include/linux/jiffies.h:290: error: previous definition of ‘msecs_to_jiffies’ was here
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h: In function ‘snd_pci_orig_save_state’:
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:1099: error: too many arguments to function ‘pci_save_state’
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h: In function ‘snd_pci_orig_restore_state’:
    /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:1103: error: too many arguments to function ‘pci_restore_state’
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-15-386'
    make: *** [compile] Error 2

any help will be appreciated (i even lost my motherboards soundcard for some reason)

Re: Sound Cards but No Sound

Stupid question time
    #1 Did you disable the onboard sound in BIOS?
    #2 Did you install the card and THEN disable sound in BIOS?
    #3 Did you install the card, FORGET to disable sound in BIOS, rebooted and disabled sound?
    #4 Is the card a known working PCB?
    #5 Do you smell anything 'funny'? LOL!

Ok, #5 was for fun...

My procedure would be this.

Power off.. Remove card. Enter BIOS and ensure onboard sound is disabled. Reboot. Ensure in KDE there is NO sound hard ware.. power down. Install the SB.. Reboot.. See if the OS finds it..

My steps, your mileage may vary.

GL!
    Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

Re: Sound Cards but No Sound

Hey, I'm having exactly the same problem. Did basically the same thing you did, and got similar errors.

My card is working because I can boot to windows and I hear music and stuff coming out of my speakers.

I'm at a loss. It's an Creative Labs Audigy LS

*******heres the tail end of my build log ***********************

make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver'
      /usr/bin/make -C /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/alsa-driv
      er O=/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/build CPP="gcc-4.1 -E" CC="gcc-4.1" modules
      make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-15-generic'
      CC [M] /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.o
      In file included from /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.c:1:
      /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.inc:1:26: error: linux/config.h: No such fil
      e or directory
      /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:742: error: redefinition of ‘jiffies_to_m
      secs’
      include/linux/jiffies.h:268: error: previous definition of ‘jiffies_to_msecs’ was here
      /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:761: error: redefinition of ‘msecs_to_jif
      fies’
      include/linux/jiffies.h:290: error: previous definition of ‘msecs_to_jiffies’ was here
      /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h: In function ‘snd_pci_orig_save_state’:
      /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:1099: error: too many arguments to functi
      on ‘pci_save_state’
      /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h: In function ‘snd_pci_orig_restore_state’
      :
      /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/include/adriver.h:1103: error: too many arguments to functi
      on ‘pci_restore_state’
      make[6]: *** [/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore/memalloc.o] Error 1
      make[5]: *** [/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/acore] Error 2
      make[4]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver] Error 2
      make[3]: *** [modules] Error 2
      make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-15-generic'
      make[2]: *** [compile] Error 2
      make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver'
      make[1]: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver'
      make: *** [kdist_image] Error 2

Comment