X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel DG965WH

Hi,

I'm building a new computer and now that I'm only using Linux, I want to select the best compatible parts for my new computer. I want to buy hardware from the brands that known to support linux and open their hardware specs for open source drivers. I do not trust closed source code on my computers so I want to use "working" open source drivers. So, I do not want ATI or NVIDIA graphics cards on my computer, I prefer onboard video from intel since they support open source drivers. So, I've decided to buy Intel DG965WH mainboard. it has the latest chipset for core2 duo cpu and intel GMA X3000 video onboard (it's more than enough for me).
    Now I want to ask people if there was any issues with this mainboard? is it supported by kubuntu? I'm only using linux for 3 months so I do not want to compile kernel or something like that.
    My current mainboard is intel D915PG with NVIDIA 6200 video card and I did not have any problems with Kubuntu, all the drivers installed by default and Automatix installed the video drivers vithout problems. if there are any issues about this mainboard, help me select another one please...

Re: Intel DG965WH

Feisty will work fine on that, it has the pata_marvell modules to let you boot and recently added xorg 7.2 which helps with the G965 video situation somewhat. Just grab the latest daily desktop iso and the installation should be pretty painless if the partitioning is working.

I'm running it on a DG965SS board, only major modification from the default repos now is that I'm using a later snapshot of the modesetting i810 drivers from debian but that's not really necessary to make it work, I'm just using it to get my dual DVI ADD2 (SDVO) card working when I get around to trying it again.

Comment

The motherboard and a Core Duo on it works fine with Feisty, but not with prior releases (unable to find CD/DVD drive, thus fails to install). I've got Intel DG965WH + Core Duo E6600, sounds & networking built-in works and all. I'm using GF 7900GS, I haven't tried the internal graphics...

Comment

Originally posted by tonihele
        The motherboard and a Core Duo on it works fine with Feisty, but not with prior releases (unable to find CD/DVD drive, thus fails to install). I've got Intel DG965WH + Core Duo E6600, sounds & networking built-in works and all. I'm using GF 7900GS, I haven't tried the internal graphics...
        I'm currently using edgy but I'll setup feisty when I receive new hardware. Now I'm waiting for the feisty release and making some research to select hardware for it.

Comment

Feisty Herd 5 is running well on my Intel D975XBX main board and Nvidia graphics card. Getting it installed on the SATA drive was a challenge, but that seems to be a problem on all SATA drives.

Comment

Working...
          X