Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] Can't install printer drivers...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Can't install printer drivers...

I just (finally) got fiesty 4 installed and now wanted to get my printer working. I have done this many times and it should be straight forward.
    I chose my printer (HP880C) on a parallel port and choose the recommended driver (footmatic+hpijs) and it tells me: the driver was not found at the proper place or I don't have the proper rights for this process.
    This is the error in german:
    Laden des angeforderten Treibers nicht möglich:
    Erstellen des Foomatic-Treibers fehlgeschlagen (HP-DeskJet_880C,hpijs). Entweder existiert der Treiber nicht an der erwarteten Position oder Sie haben keine ausreichende Berechtigung für diesen Vorgang.

I get the same message in administrator mode and using other drivers.

Have never seen this before.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    F
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Can't install printer drivers...

¿Are you trying to install the printer in non-admin mode?

Kubuntu will let you add printers as non-admin, but it won't let you add newer drives. I mean, you can add more printers only if they do use the same driver as another printer already configured.

Yes, it's marginally useful and quite confusing. Just always hit that "Administrator Mode" button when adding a printer.

The usual way out of this is deleting the printer in admin mode, and then adding it again in admin mode. If things get strange try to dpkg-reconfigure cupsys. And add the printer always in admin mode.

Javier.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
      I get the same message in administrator mode and using other drivers.
      I tried it in admin mode. Besides I also tried other drivers

Now what?
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Did you try to modify the same printer (you won't be able) or have you deleted that printer and add another?

You need to delete and add, not just modify the printer.

If this doesn't work, try to reinstall the printer drivers
        Code:
        $ sudo apt-ger --reinstall install foomatic-db-hpijs hpijs
        If it still doesn't work, the next step will be deleting all the related entries from the file /etc/cups/printers.conf and the files from the dir /etc/ppd/. And readding the printer again.

If anything doesn't work, you can just delete the whole /etc/cups dir and reinstall all the cups related packages.

Code:
        $ sudp apt-get --reinstall install cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client cupsys-common libcupsys2
        But use the last option as a last resort. Maybe someone can find a safer way.

Javier.

Comment

I didn't have any printers installed. I just finished installing fiesty. So no printers (changed or otherwise)

This worked thoufh:
          sudo apt-ger --reinstall install foomatic-db-hpijs hpijs

Thanks a lot.
          Cheers
          F
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
          X