X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Firefox to print pdfs

Hello,

I've installed the cups-pdf package. Navigating to kicker start menu --> printers shows me a "Print to File (PDF)" printer which is exactly what I need (and assume was created as a result of installing cups-pdf). However, when I select file --> print in Firefox the only options are my real printer and "PostScript/default." Anyone know how to get "PDF/default" to show up as an option?

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

Re: Getting Firefox to print pdfs

is this of help ...
    http://tinyurl.com/yblzmb

Comment

Originally posted by Gezzer
      is this of help ...
      http://tinyurl.com/yblzmb
      Unfortunately, no. I came across that doc while googling before post. Problem is my cupsd.conf doesn't have a "RunAsUser" option and the rest of the directions are for GNOME :/

Comment

try installing this
        mozilla-acroread

i can print PDF's via this in FF ...

Comment

Originally posted by Gezzer
          try installing this
          mozilla-acroread
          I installed the package. Unfortunately nothing changed in my System Settings --> Printers and of course the option to print to PDF is not in FF. This is getting frustrating. I'm about ready to chalk it up as just another thing that should be easy, but Linux makes complicated. After 7 years of daily Linux usage I'm beginning to get fed up with these types of problems :/

Comment

as a work-around, i've saved web pages on hard drive, then used openoffice to print them into pdf format so i could send them to friends etc.

should be a better way though. . .

best of luck to you
            --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Thanks. For the record, since I can print to postscript I use the service at http://mint.ps2pdf.com/convert/convert.htm to transform the postscript file to PDF. Works like a charm. But I should be able to skip that step and print straight to PDF..

Comment

I'm running into the same trouble on my machine - can't print directly to pdf. However, I can print to postscript... but I'm running into a problem where the last line of text on the page will be cut in half and bottom half of those characters are showing up on the next page.

Other than playing around with the margins.... is there any way to prevent or remedy this?

thanks

Comment

Konqueror works

You can print to pdf from Konqueror if you have cups-pdf installed, so if you can switch to Konqueror without too much fuss, you'll be able to generate a pdf of the web page from there. In general, all of the actual KDE apps like Konqueror or Kate will give you the option to print to pdf, while the non-KDE apps will be all over the place in terms of their pdf support. I assume that's because we're accessing cups through some sort of KDE layer or wrapper.

Comment

I just found the instructions for how to do this over on the Ubuntu forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205050

I followed these instructions and had my pdf printing out of Firefox in about five minutes.

Comment

Thanks for the link, John Robert. I had been using the "move the text to Open Office" method, which is a real pain if the PDF article is more than a page or two.

Comment

Working...
                      X