This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best web browser for Kubuntu?

Hi, I'm fairly new to Kubuntu and was wondering what the best web browser for it is currently. One more thing I want to know is how to download it and install it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Best web browser for Kubuntu?

Konqueror is the default. I can't advise it because when last I tried it crashed a bit too often, and the KHTML rendering engine isn't the best around.

The other obvious choice is firefox. However it has a nasty habit of leaking memory, meaning that as you use it the memory usage just grows and grows. There's another thread with a possible solution to it.

Konqueror comes with the base install. To install firefox, use Adept, under System on the K Menu. Type firefox into the search box and it should show up. If you want the latest version, you'll have to get it from the firefox website though.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I use Konqueror 99% of the time. I like the way I can have a web page in one tab and files in another. Can also do searches from the address bar. I also have Firefox but only use it for sites that don't support K (GMAIL for example). With K you can bookmark network folders, web sites and more. Very versitile.

~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Konqueror is very nice. In the repositories, I found they call Firefox Swiftfox now. I dowloaded Swiftfox and al lof the plugins. Both browsers are very good, but Konqueror does have the extra dimension of also being a file browser as well. Very versatile.

I would recommend having both and finding the happy medium between the two, or deciding which is best everyday for your usage.

Comment

Working...
        X